"Fukiya Furusato Village" Fukiya by Rabbityama
Fukiya Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos
Fukiya is one of Japan's preserved old villages. The streets of Fukiya are alligned with houses that are over 100 years old. Many of the buildings are a peachy-orange color from bengara.
The town used to be a mining town. It's never very crowded, so a walk down the streets and visits to the historic sights are quite nice.
One of the sites that visitors find to be most interesting is the Fukiya Elementary School. It is an old wooden building built in 1909. It is known as the oldest wooden school building still in use in Japan! There is actually a small pool below the elementary school, which surprised me. There were only six students enrolled here when I visited.
Unfortunately, I did not have time to visit the mineshaft, the pottery museum, the town's historical museum, the bengara ceramic center, or any of the shrines and temples in this town however, I do want to give them mention so that you are aware that there are plenty of things to do to make a day trip here enjoyable!
- Pros:Historical, Beautiful, Not Crowded
- Cons:It's Out-of-the-way for Many Tourists
- In a nutshell:A Taste of Meiji Japan
Fukiya Furusato Village is a pleasant town tucked away between the cities of Takahashi and Niimi in Okayama Prefecture.... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Fukiya Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fukiya
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Fukiya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fukiya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 169 reviews, 598 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kobe Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue