"A Long-Awaited Trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Himeji by Rabbityama

Himeji Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 424 photos

In the eyes of most tourist Himeji city is synonymous with Himeji Castle, and the castle is definitely an amazing site!

There are 12 original castles remaining in Japan, and Himeji Castle is the largest and most famous. It is the only castle in Japan that is currently a World Heritage Site. All of the 12 originals are worthwhile to visit, though!

I had talked about visiting Himeji with a friend for a long time, but we were busy visiting some famous shrines, so we put it off. Finally, near the end of my stay, after we had seen all of the special shrines, we planned our trip to Himeji! It was well worth it, and we were lucky to avoid the rennovations, as they won't be complete until 2014!

Beyond the Castle...

Although the castle is by far the most famous place to visit in the city, that doesn't mean there are not other worthwhile places!

Many people only budget enough time to see the castle before heading east or west, but if you stay, consider visiting Kokoen Garden, right beside the castle. The Hyogo Prefectural Museum is an excellent museum, and across from it is the Himeji City Museum of Art. All of these are within easy walking distance of the castle. They are also all located along the Loop Bus path.

For those with more time, Mount Shosha has a temple complex that those who visit seem to like (I didn't go there, but it is somewhere I'd like to visit if I return to Himeji).

• Intro Updated Jun 10, 2010