"City of Peace" Hiroshima by Rabbityama

Hiroshima Travel Guide: 392 reviews and 961 photos

While on my exchange to Japan, I was fortunate that my host family was able to take me to Hiroshima to see the Peace Park and Memorial Museum. I learned a lot from the museum, and a lot more from my host family, about the importance of peace and the need to stop nuclear proliferation and eliminate nuclear weapons from our world.

That was now years ago, and since then I've gone back to Hiroshima, but the museum and other atomic bomb sites cannot help but move you, no matter how many times you visit or how much you learn about it. Death tolls and statistics never convey the truth of the atomic bomb (or any disaster) and the real-life pain and suffering it causes nor can they show just how far-reaching the affects are beyond the immediate damage. Even the museum itself can only give us a glimpse of what its like to live through such a thing. But it's enough; enough to make anyone think twice about atomic weapons and war as a whole and start thinking more about peace as something less abstract and more attainable.

The Flame of Peace

This picture shows the Flame of Peace. It will burn continually until all nuclear weapons in the world have been abolished. Many Japanese people sincerely believe that this flame will someday be extinguished. I truly hope they are right.

A-bomb Counter

This clock, located in the entrance of the Hiroshima Memorial Museum, has two numbers that give some interesting information about the current status of atomic bombs. The top number (21,185 in the picture) tells how many days it has been since the atomic bomb was dropped on August 6, 1945. Obviously the number is larger now, since this picture is from 2003.
The second number (314 in the picture) is the number of days that have passed since the last atomic bomb was tested. At the time I went, it was not even a year ago. Hopefully, this number will continue to grow! It's always sad to see it go back to zero.

• Intro Updated Aug 25, 2012

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM

small equation E=mc2, Einstein was sitting with Bhavad Gita after this bombing, this was his biggest mistake.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Interesting reading

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Thanks for visiting my Curitiba (Brasil) page. Your Hiroshima pages brings back great memories for me--I've been to Japan just once, and was very moved during my visit to Hiroshima. Happy New Year!

• Oct 15, 2006 at 7:22 PM

lovely page and pictures!

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2006 at 9:48 PM

Thank you for sharing this page. My mom told me about their fear & suffering as children during the Japanese occupation in my country. It's an eye opener that Japanese children were also made to suffer to bring this war to our shores..

• glennkasner's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2006 at 7:23 AM

Great page on a place that left a huge impact on me after my visit there many years ago. Hiroshima is a place every human being should visit to realise the destruction the bomb caused.

• evona's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 7:19 AM

Very interesting page. Peace for all :)

• Dec 29, 2005 at 2:59 PM

Wonderful information, Brandon! You are lucky to have visited Hiroshima. Thank you for sharing.

Badges & Stats in Hiroshima

Have you been to Hiroshima?

Latest Activity in Hiroshima