"Kanto Culture" Kamakura by Rabbityama
Kamakura Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 444 photos
Kamakura is Japan's former capital and that period of history is named after it. During the Kamakura Period, it is said that Kamakura was the most populated city in Japan and one of the most populated cities in the world. Today the city is nowhere near that.
Although it has quieted down, it still has many great historical sites, and the iconic Daibutsu (Great Buddha) of Kotokuin is the most famous and well-known of these sites. Kamakura has temples part of the "5 Mountain System", which means it has five temples considered to be among the top Zen temples (Kyoto also has 5 and Nanzenji which is above both Kyoto's five and Kamakura's five). Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine and Hase-dera are also important cultural sites.
Kamakura is very popular as a daytrip from Tokyo for those looking to experience traditional culture, although there is enough here to spend more than just a day. The town itself is very pleasant to stroll about. There is a lot of nice old architecture and many of the modern buildings also have a certain appeal.
Although the temple is Kotokuin, most just call it the Great Buddha (Daibutsu), because this is where Kamakura's famous... more travel advice
Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine is the most important shrine in Kamakura. It was built for Emperor Ojin, Empress Jingu, and... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Kamakura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KAMAKURA - A blissful escape from hectic Tokyo!!"
- "Kamakura - Old Military Capital"
- "Smaller than Kyoto but just as grand"
- "THE GREAT BUDDHA, ( DAIBUTSU )"
- "Kamakura - The Great Buddha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kamakura
- Hotels in Kamakura
- Transportation in Kamakura
- Restaurants in Kamakura
- Shopping in Kamakura
- Warnings and Dangers in Kamakura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kamakura
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Kamakura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kamakura
Photos in KamakuraSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 168 reviews, 596 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 38 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kobe Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue