"Snow City Kanazawa" Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa by Rabbityama

Kanazawa Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 370 photos

It doesn't snow much in Kansai and even when it does it rarely stays on the ground, so I was really looking for a place to go that would have snow, as well as sites that would look nice with the snow. Kanazawa, in Ishikawa Prefecture, is far enough north that it gets snow and after watching the weather forecasts for about a week giving snow reports I decided to take a chance and go, hoping the snow was staying on the ground.

As I traveled northward, Shiga Prefecture had lots of snow and parts of Fukui Prefecture did also, which made me happy, but as I got closer, the ground had less and less snow, so I wondered if I had perhaps made a mistake. Luckily, the snow slowly reappeared as I got to Ishikawa and when I finally reached Kanazawa I was so happy to see that there was snow!

Kenrokuen Garden is gorgeous and it was really special for me to get to see it with snow. It is one of the top 3 gardens in Japan, so I have been wanting to go for a long time and having the seasonal beauty of the snow made it even better! I would however, love to go back and see it in the summertime.

Kanazawa Castle was also very beautiful in the snow. Not all of the places I went were for snow though. I went to Myoryuji (nicknamed Ninja-dera), Oyama Shrine, and the 21st Century Museum, all of which I enjoyed!

It snowed lightly the entire time I was there and at the end of the day, as it got dark and I prepared to leave, it began snowing heavily. That was the perfect ending to my snow-seeking trip!

Kanazawa is a great city that I would love to come back to!

• Intro Updated Jan 16, 2012

Badges & Stats in Kanazawa

Have you been to Kanazawa?

Latest Activity in Kanazawa