"A City With Culture and Character" Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi by Rabbityama
Kochi Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 119 photos
Kochi is a beautiful city spanning all the way to the coast with interesting places all around. Part of its charm comes from the fact that it's not a major tourist city (especially among foreign tourists), so you feel like you can really explore on your own without hoards of people pushing by or getting in your way. Beyond that, it is just a nice looking city: In the downtown area you'll find palm trees alligning some of the main roads, trams, the historic Kochi Castle, and the romantic Harimayabashi Bridge, which is accompanied by a nice park.
Outside of the downtown area, the city is surrounded by scenic mountains which were particularly beautiful when I visited because there was low-lying mist around them. The coast is also quite scenic. Katsurahama Beach is a famous scenic spot with large rocks in and around the coast.
Kochi city is famous for a few things beyond sites like the castle.
First, it is known as the birthplace of Sakamoto Ryoma, a samurai and important figure in Japanese history who died trying to modernize Japan and put an end to the Tokugawa shogunate and Japanese feudalism. There is a statue of him in front of Kochi Station and at Katsurahama, along with a museum dedicated to him.
A famous Kochi pastime is dog fighting. The tradition dates back to the 19th century and the Tosa dog was bred from here (Tosa is the old province name that is now Kochi Prefecture). I was not personally able to go and see the dog fights but it is definitely unique. If I had arrived at a time when they were about to start, I would have considered going. The dog fights are done at Katsurahama Beach in a building around the souvenir shops.
Kochi is also known for its long-tailed roosters (Nankoku, the next city over is actually where they are famous, but since the capital is the most popular city for visitors, it has spread as a symbol of the city and prefecture).
All Japanese cities have certain foods they are famous for, and Kochi is no exception. The famous Kochi cuisine is Katsuo no Tataki. Katsuo is bonito and tataki means that it is lightly braized so that only the outside part of the fish slice is cooked and the rest remains raw.
The Yamauchi family were the rulers of Tosa Province during the Edo Period. The Former Yamauchi Residence is a... more travel advice
The Makino Botanical Garden is a large botanical garden on Mount Godaisan. It was built in honor of Tomitaro Makino, a... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Kochi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kochi home of token and the long tailed cocks"
- "A City With Culture and Character"
- "Godaisan Temple"
- "Two visits to Kochi city"
- "Last pure river in Japan ... Shimanto river"
- "KOCHI CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kochi
- Hotels in Kochi
- Transportation in Kochi
- Restaurants in Kochi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kochi
- 19 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Kochi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kochi
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: How to plan our itinerary in..."
- Wrote a Review Former Yamauchi Samurai Residence about Former Yamauchi Samurai Residence in Kochi Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Former Yamauchi Samurai Residence"
- Commented on one of Rabbityama's Kochi tips
- updated a Kochi Travel Page "A City With Culture and Character"
Photos in KochiSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 175 reviews, 621 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 62 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 23 reviews, 83 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 27 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 21 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Nagoya Intro, 17 reviews, 50 photos