"Holy Mount Koya" Top 5 Page for this destination Koyasan by Rabbityama
Koyasan Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 137 photos
Mount Koya is one of the three holiest mountains in the nation, along with Mount Hiei and Mount Osore.
Mount Koya is the location of the head temple of the Shingon sect of Buddhism, established by Priest Kukai. Mount Koya also has the most famous (and expensive) cemetary in Japan. It is of great spiritual, as well as social significance to have one's grave here and be able to maintain it. Many of Japan's top companies and corporations have their own plots here, so that employees can be buried here if they choose. For many people, death is when you finally ESCAPE the office for good, so the thought of being bound to your workplace in death is unappealing, but there are many who do this.
The Cablecar that takes you up to Mount Koya is the longest in the country. From the station at the top, you then take a... more travel advice
The Daimon Gate of Mount Koya is quite large and marks one of the entrances to the holy grounds. The Nio statues that... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Koyasan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holy Mount Koya"
- "Mt Koya: center of Shingon Buddhism"
- "Sacred Tourism"
- "The peaceful Kukai's retreat"
- "Two Days of Peace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koyasan
- Hotels in Koyasan
- Transportation in Koyasan
- Warnings and Dangers in Koyasan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koyasan
- 8 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Koyasan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koyasan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 175 reviews, 621 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 62 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 23 reviews, 83 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 27 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 21 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Nagoya Intro, 17 reviews, 50 photos