"Historic Castle Town" Marugame by Rabbityama

Marugame Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos

Marugame is a small city in Kagawa Prefecture most famous for its castle, which is one of Japan's original (never rebuilt) castles. It's also famous for its fans (uchiwa) and there is a museum there where you can see these fans, learn about the history, and try to make one yourself. There is also a garden and some other sites.

My purpose for visiting was to see the castle as I did not originally think I would have enough time to even come here, so I was not able to go to the museum, garden, or other sites although if I return and have more time, I'd like to see more.

The city (along with much of Kagawa Prefecture) is surrounded by large tree-covered mountains that actually look like steep hills that come to a peak. They make the cityscape very beautiful, and the scene from Marugame Castle is great!

• Intro Updated Oct 24, 2011

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

When I travel to Marugame I will also climb Mount Yiino nicknamed as Sanuki Fuji.

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo
      Nov 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Oh, do you have plans to go to Kagawa? I want to go back and see Nakazu Banshoen Garden.

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
      Nov 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Well, for now Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka, Hikone are my top priority list.

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Very similar actually. I jumped off the train on the way to Takamatsu and spent about 90 minutes in Marugame. Straight up to the castle.

Badges & Stats in Marugame

Have you been to Marugame?

Latest Activity in Marugame