"Setouchi City" Ushimado by Rabbityama
Ushimado Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 65 photos
Although tourist guides to the area still call it Ushimado, the city is actually Setouchi. Ushimado is really only the coastal area, but that's also the most famous part of Setouchi which is probably why many people and guides refer to Setouchi as Ushimado.
In spite of its fame, I actually did not come to see the coast. My main purpose was to see the home of Yumeji Takehisa, a famous Japanese artist born and raised here. It's interesting to be able to go to his house and even enter his room. There is also a reproduction of his Tokyo art studio nearby.
Along with his home and sites related to him, I was also able to visit the Bizen Osafune Token Village, which is dedicated to the making of Bizen swords. Bizen swords are historically known as some of the best Japanese swords ever made. At the village, they keep the old sword-making tradition alive so you can watch craftsman sharpen swords, carve in them, make the handles, etc. On certain days you can also watch them forge the swords.
On a separate occasion I also visited Yokeiji Temple, one of the temples of the Chugoku 33 Kannon Temple Pilgrimage. All that and still haven't seen the famous beach! Maybe someday I will go back to see the beach but for now I am satisfied with the places I was able to visit!
The Yumeji Seika is the birthplace and childhood home of Yumeji Takehisa, a famous early 20th century Japanese artist... more travel advice
Yokeiji Temple is a historic temple dating back to 1570. It's built atop Ueterasan (Mt. Uetera) The main hall is small,... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Ushimado Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beauty Of Ushimado"
- "Setouchi City"
- "Ushimado....Japanese Sunny Beach"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ushimado
- 9 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Ushimado?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ushimado
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 168 reviews, 596 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 38 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kobe Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue