"Wake Wisteria" Wake by Rabbityama
Wake Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 40 photos
Wake is a small town that most people have never heard of, but I really enjoyed my time there.
It's most famous for its Wisteria Park which blooms in late April/early May. Wisteria is so beautiful, and it's nice because the town's website tracks the progress of the wisteria so that you can time your visit to go when they are in full bloom which is what I did. Some varieties do bloom earlier than others, because these wisteria come from all over the country and even other parts of the world.
The town is also known for its crane sanctuary, located at the Nature Preservation Center. There are not many crane sanctuaries in the country, so it's an interesting place to see these famous Japanese birds and if you come at the right time of year, you can see crane chicks!
Yet another great experience in Wake is the Katatetsu Roman Kaido cycling trail. The cycling path runs from south to north through Wake town (most of the path is within Wake but it actually starts in Bizen and after going through Wake travels through a small part of Akaiwa and ends in Misaki town). The path is actually the old Katakami Rail Line that was converted into a cycling path after it was officially closed in 1991. The mountains along the path are so beautiful and parts of the old railway have been preserved so you can see some former stations, railway signs, etc. along with other sites scattered around the trail.
Wake also has some shrines and temples and the Wake Wamojiyaki Festival where they burn the character for "Wa" (meaning "peace" and used as the "Wa" in "Wake") in the mountain overlooking the town.
One of Wake's most famous sites is the Wisteria Park (Fuji Koen). They make the claim to be Japan's number one place to... more travel advice
The Nature Preservation Center in Wake is home to one of only a few Crane Sanctuaries in Japan. This is the highlight... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Wake Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wake
- 13 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Wake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wake
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 169 reviews, 598 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kobe Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue