"Prairie Homestead" Philip by Rabbityama
Philip Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos
The Prairie Homestead was originally the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Brown who homesteaded here from 1909 to 1949. The homestead is the original, and is set up inside the way a homesteader would have made their home. The home is dug into the side of a hill, because the original homesteaders could not afford to build extravagant houses.
This particular homestead was built by Mr. Brown from cottonwood logs. He used buffalo grass sod to build the upper walls of his house. All of the sod is original except the sod around the windows, which replaced with sod from the same place Mr. Brown gathered his sod from. The house was perfect, because it was cool in summer and warm in the winter. He also had a cave and chicken house dug into other banks. The cave acted as a refrigerator for the Browns, so they could store things such as milk and food.
Homesteads are a big part of the history of the American West however, there are very few of originals (and even replications) left in America, which is what makes this homestead such a treasure!
The prairie dogs, that tourists love just as much as the historical house (they are quite cute and fun to watch), have been there since before the homesteaders. Once the homesteaders arrived, the prairie dog population grew even more, and today you can see them when you visit the homestead!
- Pros:Almost completely original piece of history, Prairie dogs
The Prairie Homestead in Philip was built in 1909 by Mr. and Mrs. Ed Brown. The homestead is almost completely... more travel advice
Most people know not to approach wild animals, and the prairie dogs here at the homestead are indeed wild. You can... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Philip Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Philip
- Transportation in Philip
- Warnings and Dangers in Philip
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philip
- 4 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Philip?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philip
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 175 reviews, 621 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 62 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 23 reviews, 83 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 27 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 21 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Nagoya Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos