"Peach Capital Okayama" Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama-ken by Rabbityama
Okayama-ken Travel Guide: 261 reviews and 841 photos
In 2003, I spent four weeks in Japan. Most of that time was spent in Okayama-ken in the city of Tsuyama. The entire prefecture is famous for it's peaches, and it's all thanks to Momotarou, a hero of one of Japan's most famous folktales! Momotarou is everywhere in Okayama prefecture, along with the peaches. Okayama peaches really are the best peaches I've ever had! If you go to Okayama, pay homage to Momotarou and honor him by eating a peach (or two)!
An old man and old woman (his wife) lived together, but were very poor. One day, while the old woman was washing clothing by the river, she saw a large peach floating down the river. She grabbed it took it home to her husband so that they could eat it. As they prepared to cut it, it began to move. Then, suddenly, a little boy emerged from the peach!
The elderly couple decided to raise the boy, even though they were poor. One day, when Momotarou (the boy) was older, he found out that their were a group of Oni (Japanese ogres) with a large amount of riches far away. Momotarou decided to go and defeat the evil Oni and take their treasure.
On his way, he met a monkey, a bird (pheasant, I think), and a dog. They decide to help him, so they follow him as he goes to the island where the Oni are hiding. When they arrive, Momotarou and his friends fight the Oni and defeat them. Then, Momotarou and his friends take all of the treasure and sail back to the old couple who raised him.
I'm sure there are slightly different variations, but that is the basic story! It's quite a nice story! I like Japanese folktales! I hoped you enjoyed it, too!
- Pros:Mostly Rural, Culture, Unexplored by most foreigners, Great People
- Cons:Mostly Rural (if you like cities)
- In a nutshell:Natural Beauty
The Kibiji District spans from Okayama City to Soja City and is marked by a variety of shrines, temples, tombs, samurai... more travel advice
Tsuyama is a city in Okayama-ken that is often referred to as "Little Kyoto" because of all of its historical sites.... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Okayama-ken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peach Capital Okayama"
- "Okayama - worth a look!"
- "Great Accommodation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Okayama-ken
- Hotels in Okayama-ken
- Transportation in Okayama-ken
- Nightlife in Okayama-ken
- Restaurants in Okayama-ken
- Shopping in Okayama-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Okayama-ken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Okayama-ken
- 180 Reviews
- 562 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Okayama-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Okayama-ken
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 173 reviews, 613 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 62 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 23 reviews, 83 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 24 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 21 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kobe Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue