"Iya Valley and Oboke" Miyoshi by Rabbityama
Miyoshi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 15 photos
The Iya Valley is often considered to be the top attraction in Tokushima Prefecture because it is such a beautiful area. The blue-green water in the rocky gorge topped by forested mountains is breathtaking!
It is listed as one of Japan's Top Three Hidden Valleys however, it is definitely no longer hidden! Tour buses come here quite often. I don't think there are enough to make the atmosphere bad though, and the gorge goes is long, so you should be able to find a spot to enjoy it (especially if you have a car).
Boat tours are popular; a great way to see the valley from within! This can be done from the Oboke gorge. Whitewater rafting is another reason many people come to the valley.
The view actually reminded me a lot of the Hozu River in Kyoto's Arashiyama area. If you walk along it, the color of the water and rocks around it are similar to the Iya Valley, although the valley's gorges are much better and it has the famous vine bridges, which Arashiyama doesn't have.
The Iya Valley and Oboke are excellent for nature-lovers and anyone looking to experience some unique aspects of rural Japan.
Oboke Gorge (Oboke-kyo) is a gorge created by the Yoshino River. It is one of the scenic areas of the Iya Valley. It is... more travel advice
The Kazurabashi Bridge is the most famous of the Iya Valley vine bridges. It spans 45 meters long and 2 meters wide. The... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Miyoshi Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Miyoshi
- Hotels in Miyoshi
- Transportation in Miyoshi
- Restaurants in Miyoshi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Miyoshi
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Miyoshi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Miyoshi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 175 reviews, 621 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 62 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 23 reviews, 83 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 27 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 21 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Nagoya Intro, 17 reviews, 50 photos