"Home of Ikkyu" Kyotanabe by Rabbityama
Kyotanabe Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Kyotanabe is a small town in the Yamashiro area of Kyoto Prefecture. It is famous as the birthplace of the priest Ikkyu. He is known in children's stories as being a clever child who got the best of the older priests. The most famous story is of little Ikkyu being told not to cross the bridge ('hashi' in Japanese). Ikkyu then proceeded to walk right across the center of the bridge. When he was apprehended, he explained that he didn't cross. 'Hashi' can mean either bridge or edge therefore Ikkyu had got the best of his superiors using the play on words.
Ikkyuji Temple was constructed by Ikkyu and his grave is actually within the temple grounds, as well.
In addition to Ikkyu, Kannonji in the Fugenji area is famous for its statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy. It is a National Treasure. The town has a few other sites and an onsen making it a nice daytrip, particularly for those who enjoy touring by bike.
As for famous foods and items, the town is famous for Gyokuro (high-quality tea) and eggplant.
Although many Japanese temples are historic, nobody comes to Juhoji to see the temple structure itself, because the... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Kyotanabe Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kyotanabe
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Kyotanabe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyotanabe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 169 reviews, 598 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kobe Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue