"Home of Koga Ninjutsu" Koka by Rabbityama
Koka Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 14 photos
Koka city is where Koga Ninjutsu was founded. As such, there are a few ninja-related sites in the city. The Ninja Village (Ninja-mura) is a nice introduction to ninjutsu and some of the ways ninja constructed their homes to make it difficult for intruders to get to them (and easier to ambush them). You can also try to be a ninja yourself by completing several tasks often performed by ninja. Those who do it will get their official "ninja license"! This is meant for children, but it is fun for adults as well.
For those who think the Ninja Village is a bit too childish, the Ninja Yashiki is a real former home of a ninja, so the building and all of its traps and secret passages are authentic.
On the way to the Ninja Village I also saw wild monkeys for the first time!
Koka city also now includes the Shigaraki area, which is famous for its statues of tanuki, the Japanese raccoon dog that is real as well as mythical (if you've ever heard tales about tanuki you will know what I mean).
Shigaraki is one of the "Six Kilns" of Japan. The Six Kilns are the six pottery towns that have a long history of popular pottery production. (The other 'Kilns' are Bizen, Seto (in Aichi), Tokoname, Tamba, and Echizen)
This area is also home to the Miho Museum, a true architectural wonder as well as a world-class museum.
- Pros:Ninja History, Wild Monkeys, Small Town
- Cons:A Bit Out-of-the-Way
The Miho Museum is a large, isolated museum tucked away in the mountains of the Shigaraki area of Koka. It's an art... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Koka
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Koka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koka
Photos in KokaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 175 reviews, 621 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 62 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 23 reviews, 83 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 27 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 21 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Nagoya Intro, 17 reviews, 50 photos