"Antequera - En el Corazon de Andalucia" Top 5 Page for this destination Antequera by Senoritasmile
Antequera Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 438 photos
Antequera has a population of 40,000 and is the governing town in the north of the Malaga province. It's 45mins inland from Malaga airport and is a perfect base for exploring Andalucia due to its proximity to the main A92 motorway.
Seville 2 hours
Cordoba 1.5 hours
Granada 1.5 hours
Jerez 1.5 hours
Although you'll see numerous Brits wandering through the streets, this town is far enough inland not to have lost its traditional Spanish feel, main street lined with orange trees, the regional bullring, endless beautiful churches, plenty of tapas bars with pavement-side tables and chairs. The centre is compact and easily explored on foot.
This area, north of the Malaga province, has spectacular scenery and I discover something new almost every time I set out in the car. When staying in Antequera, the best thing to do is grab your map and drive!
This is an agricultural area and you will still often see old men bent double working the land by hand, donkey pulling handmade ploughs, landowners surveying the land on horse back and locals gathering wild mushrooms and herbs.
You will stumble upon huge, whitewashed cortijos, crumbling ruins, shepherds huts, pristine chapels, saintly monuments and old bodegas.
Do not feel perturbed when people stare as they will :-) In the villages here, everyone knows everyone, so a new face is often instantly spotted and surveyed, more from curiosity than anything else.
- Pros:bustling spanish town, central, architecturally rich
- Cons:parking can be difficult
This beautifully renovated 3 bedroom cottage is set in a small hamlet of 14 houses just 3kms from the village of... more travel advice
Hojiblanca is one of the oldest Olive Oil producing companies in Spain and their headquarters are on the outskirts of... more travel advice
- See All Be careful if you have nut allergies
- Beware: Smooth talking property sales...
- See All The hill top castle at Teba
Senoritasmile's Related Pages
Antequera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antequera - En el Corazon de Andalucia"
- "ANTEQUERA 'THE HEART OF ANDALUCIA'"
- "Beautiful Antequera"
- "Antequera and beautiful Torcal Nature park"
- "Antequera (Malaga) The City of Art"
- "Beach_dogs Antequera Page"
- "Antequera, still undiscovered by mass tourism"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antequera
- Hotels in Antequera
- Transportation in Antequera
- Nightlife in Antequera
- Restaurants in Antequera
- Shopping in Antequera
- Warnings and Dangers in Antequera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antequera
- 43 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Antequera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antequera
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antequera Intro, 43 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Málaga Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 25 reviews, 10 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Venice Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Palma de Mallorca Intro, 6 reviews, 1 photo
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Cologne Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Toledo Intro, 1 review, 3 photos