"There's more to Malaga than the airport" Top 5 Page for this destination Málaga by Senoritasmile

Málaga Travel Guide: 894 reviews and 2,347 photos

The Poor Andalucian cousin?

Malaga City often gets over-looked in favour of the more vibrant Seville or laid-back Granada and at first glance, it's easy to see why. The amazing Alhambra in Granada rightly pulls in the crowds and Seville has a whole stable of 'sights' that make it a must on anyone's Spain's Must Visit list.

So, is Malaga worth a visit? If you're flying into the airport, I'd certainly recommend a day and night here by way of an initial introduction. This city is undergoing some major regeneration over the next couple of years so the face of Malaga is certainly getting a face lift and some overdue investment. It will be interesting to see how she develops.

For me, a city on the coast has an appeal all of it's own. Take in the Picasso Museum, explore the streets of the old town, people watch on the Calle Larios (cruise the many shoe shops here too- if it's your thing!), wander around the colourful food market and either buy supplies for a beach picnic here or head to one of the 'chiringuitos' on the beach and enjoy fresh seafood and fish cooked on open griddles.

In the evening, start with a sampling of sherries 'finos' at the Casa de la Guardia, head to Gorki's for a couple of unusually-filled 'montaditos' (small bread rolls), sit in the square opposite the cathedral and marvel at its magnificence and wander up to El Pimpi's and soak up the buzzy vibe.

The old town in Malaga is small and easy to get to know on foot. It is surrounded by vast residential areas and developments that I've yet to explore as, to date, I've found little to tempt me. The province of Malaga, however, is quite a different story. It is a diverse region with some incredible landscape and unspoilt villages and a car is a must if you're looking for more than a beach-side break.

• Pros:the old city, proximity to sea, fresh sardines on beach!
  • In a nutshell:Worth spending a day here
  • Last visit to Málaga: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2006

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Condensed milk and anchovies on toast...I think I would skip that...LOL

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2008 at 4:36 AM

be happy,kerry...."la posada de antonio" is definitely closed!

• arty_girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I loved the paragraph about a city on the coastm and the one after. I've printed it for when I stop here in June on my backpacking trip! Can you recommend any good hostels (or B & B's) We're on a tight budget but would like a private room

• Feb 17, 2008 at 2:57 PM

I agree completely with your tourist trap tip!!!!!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 12:06 PM

I met a Alex in Perth last week. Spoke of random VT'ers we both 'virtually' know in common. I'm back in Spain & hope to venture around more. Hope to get down your way sooner than later

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 2:07 PM

Very interesting tips and an insight into Malaga that you don't often come across. Another of your great pages.

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 1:29 PM

I wish I had the courage and uproot and go. You have done what many of us only ever think about doing. Good for you x

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 12:46 AM

The Casa de La Guardia sounds delightful, right up my alley! Lovely, charming tips on what seems like a special place. Take care, Kerry :-) Siddharth in Dubai

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 3:38 PM

Great tips here! Thanks.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 11:11 AM

Hola Kerry! Nice page on Malaga. Though I am not into shopping I especially liked your shopping tips! Happy Birthday by the way!

Senoritasmile Lives Here!