"There's more to Malaga than the airport" Top 5 Page for this destination Málaga by Senoritasmile
Málaga Travel Guide: 887 reviews and 2,326 photos
Malaga City often gets over-looked in favour of the more vibrant Seville or laid-back Granada and at first glance, it's easy to see why. The amazing Alhambra in Granada rightly pulls in the crowds and Seville has a whole stable of 'sights' that make it a must on anyone's Spain's Must Visit list.
So, is Malaga worth a visit? If you're flying into the airport, I'd certainly recommend a day and night here by way of an initial introduction. This city is undergoing some major regeneration over the next couple of years so the face of Malaga is certainly getting a face lift and some overdue investment. It will be interesting to see how she develops.
For me, a city on the coast has an appeal all of it's own. Take in the Picasso Museum, explore the streets of the old town, people watch on the Calle Larios (cruise the many shoe shops here too- if it's your thing!), wander around the colourful food market and either buy supplies for a beach picnic here or head to one of the 'chiringuitos' on the beach and enjoy fresh seafood and fish cooked on open griddles.
In the evening, start with a sampling of sherries 'finos' at the Casa de la Guardia, head to Gorki's for a couple of unusually-filled 'montaditos' (small bread rolls), sit in the square opposite the cathedral and marvel at its magnificence and wander up to El Pimpi's and soak up the buzzy vibe.
The old town in Malaga is small and easy to get to know on foot. It is surrounded by vast residential areas and developments that I've yet to explore as, to date, I've found little to tempt me. The province of Malaga, however, is quite a different story. It is a diverse region with some incredible landscape and unspoilt villages and a car is a must if you're looking for more than a beach-side break.
- Pros:the old city, proximity to sea, fresh sardines on beach!
- In a nutshell:Worth spending a day here
Set in the heart of Andalucia, yet just 30mins from Malaga city and easy to reach from both Malaga & Granada airports,... more travel advice
Please see my Antequera page where I am adding most of the inland sights and things to do. Antequera is a large... more travel advice
Written Apr 15, 2006
The Easter Processions
Written Jan 1, 2007
Malaga at Christmas
Senoritasmile's Related Pages
Málaga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MALAGA LA BELLA"
- "MALAGA "CAPITAL OF THE COSTA DEL SOL""
- "MAGNIFICENT MALAGA"
- "There's more to Malaga than the airport"
- "Malaga & Costa del Sol UNDER RECONSTRUCTION....."
- "A WONDERFUL DAY WITH SPECIAL FRIENDS"
- "The Fortress and castle on top ranks high"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Málaga
- Hotels in Málaga
- Transportation in Málaga
- Nightlife in Málaga
- Restaurants in Málaga
- Shopping in Málaga
- Warnings and Dangers in Málaga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Málaga
- 26 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Málaga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Málaga
Photos in MálagaSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antequera Intro, 43 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Málaga Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 25 reviews, 10 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Venice Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Palma de Mallorca Intro, 6 reviews, 1 photo
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Cologne Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Toledo Intro, 1 review, 3 photos