Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path Tips by roadtripjunkies
Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path: 493 reviews and 842 photos
jazz on the lake
Grab your blanket or folding chairs and ice chest and take a half hour trip to Lake Las Vegas. Jazz on the lake on Saturday nights is free! We bring a bottle of wine, finger food dinner and our love of music each Saturday night are never disappointed. If you check the calendar (link provided) you'll see there is also music on Fridays and other scatterd activities. ..
Mojave National Preserve is an undiscovered treasure in Vegas' backyard. We have made one trip out there and will be back to continue to explore. The largest Joshua Tree forest I've ever seen is located here. If you love desert photography, be sure to bring your camera.
I-15 south, cross into California. Exit Nipton exit and turn left. approx 3 miles on right turn onto Ivanpath. First right is Morning Star Mine Road. This will take you into Cima and on to Kelso. Will also be taking you though a huge Joshua Tree forest. Visitors center in Kelso to get maps, etc.
Short, sandy hike will reward you with some great view of 1000 year old petroglyphs. Words can't describe the feeling of spirit and history that lives here.
To reach here from Vegas, go S. on 95 (WATCH YOUR SPEED IN SEARCHLIGHT... GO THE SPEEDLIMIT!!!) . At 163 and turn east. Continue another few miles till you see the sign for Christmas Tree Pass, and then turn left. Dirt road, accessable by most vehicles. Approx 2 miles you'll see parking on the left. (between searchligh and 163 you'll pass a sign for Christmas Tree Pass, unless you have 4 wheel, dont' use this turn)
There are a few good private websites, search using Grapevine Canyon NV.
This is the polar opposite of the strip. The beauty here is quiet and overwhelming. The best perspective of the red rocks is from the overlook area off of 159. Unfortunately there was a wildfire there recently and the area right around the overlook has burned, but the view is still breathtaking.
Take 215 north to Charleston (Hwy 159). Turn left on Charleston and follow approx 17 miles to the entrance.
More Reviews (3)
roadtripjunkies' Related Pages
Las Vegas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
- "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
- "A tourists view of Las Vegas"
- "Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
- "las vegas"
- "Viva Las Vegas"
- "Las Vegas: An Escape From Reality"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Vegas
- Hotels in Las Vegas
- Transportation in Las Vegas
- Nightlife in Las Vegas
- Restaurants in Las Vegas
- Shopping in Las Vegas
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Vegas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Vegas
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Las Vegas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Vegas
Top 5 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Saint George Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- California Intro, 3 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 3 photos
- Zion National Park Intro, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Fremont Street Experience- 132 Reviews, 243 Photos
- Treasure Island Hotel - Casino- 65 Reviews, 119 Photos
- Mirage- 122 Reviews, 204 Photos
- Lake Mead and Hoover Dam- 92 Reviews, 249 Photos
- Luxor- 78 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Bellagio Fountains- 139 Reviews, 272 Photos
- Grand Canyon- 70 Reviews, 137 Photos
- Paris Hotel - Casino- 80 Reviews, 173 Photos
- The Venetian Hotel & Casino- 125 Reviews, 271 Photos
- The Strip- 96 Reviews, 196 Photos
See All Las Vegas Things to Do