"VOLCANO CLIMBING UP PACAYA" San Vicente Pacaya by RAZOR-REN

San Vicente Pacaya Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 40 photos

* 2011 update: SINCE THE MAJOR ERUPTION OF MAY 2010, THERE IS NO MORE LAVA FLOWING DOWN THE FLANKS BUT THERE ARE TOURS AS USUAL WHICH TAKE YOU THERE. WHETHER OR NOT PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED ON THE SUMMIT CRATER AGAIN I DON'T KNOW.

* 2010 update: APPARENTLY, YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED ONTO PACAYA VOLCANO DUE TO THE INCREASE OF INTENSIVE ACTIVITY IN RECENT YEARS AND PACAYA JUST HAD IT'S MAJOR ERUPTION AS RECENTLY AS MAY 2010. WHETHER THERE ARE STILL TOURS THAT GO NEAR PACAYA I DON'T KNOW.

PACAYA IS ONE OF GUATEMALA'S 3 ACTIVE VOLCANOES. IT IS LOCATED ABOUT 20 MILES SOUTH OF GUATEMALA CITY AND CAN ALSO CLEARLY BE SEEN FROM THE CITY. IT IS ONE OF THE FEW ACTIVE VOLCANOES IN THE WORLD WHICH YOU ARE ABLE TO GET CLOSE UP TO FOR AN UNFORGETTABLE ACTIVE VOLCANO EXPERIENCE. BOOK A TOUR AT A TRAVEL AGENT IN ANTIGUA.

THE NOVEMBER 2005 VISIT:
WE DIDN'T ACTUALLY GOTO THE TOWN SAN VICENTE PACAYA BUT TO A VILLAGE JUST NEAR IT WHICH WAS THE ENTRANCE TO THE PACAYA NATIONAL PARK. AS FAR AS I REMEMBER I THINK IT COST Q25-30 FOR FOREIGNERS TO GET IN AND YOU THEN START A LONG TRAIL UPHILL INTO THE WOODS WHICH ON THE WAY YOU MIGHT GET OFFERED A HORSE FOR A SMALL FEE WHICH COULD SAVE YOU HAVING TO WALK ALL THE WAY, BUT I DIDN'T USE A HORSE HOWEVER AS I CHOSE TO WALK.

UNFORTUNATELY, WE DIDN'T SEE ANY LAVA IN THE VOLCANO AS IT WAS ALWAYS SCREENED BY DENSE SULPHER DIOXIDE STEAM. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE HIKE HOWEVER.

WHEN WE GOT DOWN, WE WERE REWARDED WITH LOTS OF STONES AND GRAVEL IN OUR SHOES!

PACAYA, THE RE-VISIT:
I DECIDED TO COME BACK TO PACAYA AFTER 1 YEAR COS I'VE HEARD THAT THERE WAS LAVA ABOUT DUE TO THE FACT THAT EARLIER IN THE YEAR A FISSUE OPENED UP ON THE SIDE OF THE ACTIVE McKENNEY CONE SEEPING OUT LAVA WHICH COVERED THE CALDERA FLOOR SINCE AND HAS SINCE OVERFLOWED THE CALDERA RIM. I WENT UP TO PACAYA TO FIND IT HAD CHANGED ALOT SINCE I WAS LAST THERE AS THERE WERE NEW LAVA FIELDS WITH GLOWING MOLTEN LAVA TO BE SEEN! I NEVER SEEN LAVA IN REAL LIFE BEFORE, WHICH MADE IT THE MAIN REASON WHY I WANTED TO COME BACK TO PACAYA AGAIN.

• Last visit to San Vicente Pacaya: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2011

• Suzie3's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 8:57 PM

We were on Pacaya in Feb 2007, what an incredible place with the fresh lava. Interesting to read about your two different experiences.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 11:16 AM

A very interesting account of your experiences while trying to sample Pacaya up-close! It almost makes me glad that rain and clouds prevented our attempt to see what the Arenal volcano in Costa Rica had to offer!

• la_beba's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 10:44 AM

I might do this next time I go to Guate (in December)!!! great pages!

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 11:35 AM

Great volcanos! We loved Hawaiis volcano's National Park and have a great lava pic on our page. Easy to be hooked on these amazing features!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 5:29 PM

very cool photos mate. greetings from another vulcano climber.

RAZOR-REN

“Do it while you can or you might regret it for the rest of your life”

Badges & Stats in San Vicente Pacaya

Have you been to San Vicente Pacaya?

Friends