"Le Havre UNESCO World Heritage Site" Le Havre by aemilys
Le Havre Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 55 photos
Le Havre was almost totally destroyed during WWII but thanks to a major rebuilding plan it has recently been declared a world heritage site by UNESCO. To quote from the site:
"The post-war reconstruction plan of Le Havre is an outstanding example and a landmark of the integration of urban planning traditions and a pioneer implementation of modern developments in architecture, technology, and town planning.
Le Havre is an outstanding post-war example of urban planning and architecture based on the unity of methodology and system of prefabrication, the systematic use of a modular grid and the innovative exploitation of the potential of concrete."
I would also like to nominate Le Havre for having one of the world's finest top notch tourist offices! Professional, friendly and English speaking. They have tons of information available so you must stop by if you plan to visit.
When searching for the location to make this page in the VT location finder, I came across two Le Havres, one in Haute Normandie in the Seine Maritime (76) and one in Basse Normandie. Just to clarify things the Le Havre described on this page is the major port city of France and is located in the Seine Maritime in Haute Normandie.
As I only spent 4 hours here on my way to Etretat, I will have to go back.
Look for an update and my eloge to modern architecture after the weekend of 9-12 December.
Well, I did go back and at the end of an excellent weekend in this amazing city my photo card died!! All my photos of the container ships coming into port, the world's neatest barber shop, the fish at the market that looked just like my Francois...all of it is gone.
I guess this will just have to be a no photo travelogue, I'll try to describe things as best I can...and perhaps I'll just have to go back again...
In the meantime I'm starting a list of some interesting links to Le Havre with good info in English, so in no particular order:
and if these guys are not yet on VT, they should be!
- Pros:Some wonderful examples of modern architecture
- Cons:Lack of public transportation
- In a nutshell:Authentic
still under construction due to loss of my photos (sniff) more travel advice
The shop smells so wonderful, the chocolates are gorgeous...they were even so kind as to let me take photos (which got... more travel advice
aemilys' Related Pages
Le Havre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Le Havre UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "LEH Travels"
- "Le Havre"
- "La Digue"
- "Le Havre"
- "Le Havre Cruise Ship Port April 2008"
- "Graville (Le Havre)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Le Havre
- Hotels in Le Havre
- Transportation in Le Havre
- Nightlife in Le Havre
- Restaurants in Le Havre
- Shopping in Le Havre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Le Havre
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Le Havre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Le Havre
Photos in Le HavreSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Étretat Intro, 34 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Havre Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Xam Nua Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roscoff Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Collioure Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Granville Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos