"Le Havre UNESCO World Heritage Site" Le Havre by aemilys

Le Havre Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 45 photos

Lots of modern architecture

Le Havre was almost totally destroyed during WWII but thanks to a major rebuilding plan it has recently been declared a world heritage site by UNESCO. To quote from the site:

"The post-war reconstruction plan of Le Havre is an outstanding example and a landmark of the integration of urban planning traditions and a pioneer implementation of modern developments in architecture, technology, and town planning.

Le Havre is an outstanding post-war example of urban planning and architecture based on the unity of methodology and system of prefabrication, the systematic use of a modular grid and the innovative exploitation of the potential of concrete."

I would also like to nominate Le Havre for having one of the world's finest top notch tourist offices! Professional, friendly and English speaking. They have tons of information available so you must stop by if you plan to visit.

Facts and figures

When searching for the location to make this page in the VT location finder, I came across two Le Havres, one in Haute Normandie in the Seine Maritime (76) and one in Basse Normandie. Just to clarify things the Le Havre described on this page is the major port city of France and is located in the Seine Maritime in Haute Normandie.

As I only spent 4 hours here on my way to Etretat, I will have to go back.

Look for an update and my eloge to modern architecture after the weekend of 9-12 December.

And then disaster struck

Well, I did go back and at the end of an excellent weekend in this amazing city my photo card died!! All my photos of the container ships coming into port, the world's neatest barber shop, the fish at the market that looked just like my Francois...all of it is gone.

I guess this will just have to be a no photo travelogue, I'll try to describe things as best I can...and perhaps I'll just have to go back again...

In the meantime I'm starting a list of some interesting links to Le Havre with good info in English, so in no particular order:

Brian Daugherty

Ivan Sache

and if these guys are not yet on VT, they should be!

• Pros:Some wonderful examples of modern architecture
  • Cons:Lack of public transportation
  • In a nutshell:Authentic
  • Last visit to Le Havre: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 25, 2005

aemilys

“Proud to be a tourist”

Badges & Stats in Le Havre

Have you been to Le Havre?

Latest Activity in Le Havre