"Along the Mekong in Luang Prabang" Luang Prabang by aemilys
Luang Prabang Travel Guide: 1,014 reviews and 2,541 photos
I stayed in Luang Prabang for a week because I didn't want to miss out on the boat races. It rained the entire time but since it was the rainy season I guess that was to be expected.
Luang Prabang is a tourist town and everything in it seems to be geared exactly towards that. Restaurants for tourists, shops for tourists where the prices are much higher than elsewhere in Laos, tours for tourists, guesthouses and aside from a few leftover French colonial buildings and the wats there is not much else. There are also little groups of "you buy lucky" children who sell bracelets and other small items so be forewarned if you plan to stay in town DO NOT buy anything because they will remember you and they will know if you are a soft touch and everyday they will be selling you bracelets...I know this because I wound up with 10 of them plus 3 key chains as well.
I would suggest that if you do want to buy some lucky things, buy them on the day you plan to leave and bargain down to four for a dollar.
- Cons:Definitely a tourist town
aemilys' Related Pages
Luang Prabang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It Really is the Jewel of the Jewel of SE Asia"
- "Luang Prabang: The Cheeky Monk"
- "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
- "World Heritage wonderland."
- "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- "Luang Prabang ~ Charming Town By the Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luang Prabang
- Hotels in Luang Prabang
- Transportation in Luang Prabang
- Nightlife in Luang Prabang
- Restaurants in Luang Prabang
- Shopping in Luang Prabang
- Warnings and Dangers in Luang Prabang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Luang Prabang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luang Prabang
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Étretat Intro, 34 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Havre Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Xam Nua Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Roscoff Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Collioure Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Granville Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos