"Authentic Laos" Xam Nua by aemilys
Xam Nua Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 20 photos
Sam Neua or Xam Neua or as VT would have it Xam Nua is fairly off the beaten path. Most tourists (or travellers if you prefer) are just passing through on their way to or from Viet Nam.
I liked this place because it was so non touristy. No begging, everyone gives the correct change back and they all seemed to just be busy living their lives. As such it is rather a challenge to find souvenirs but you may get lucky and meet the weaving ladies who sell beautiful things for much less than you'll pay in Luang Prabang...Sam Neua is known for its weaving and for that reason alone it's well worth the trip.
Sam Neua was like a breakthrough place for me. I just got so depressed doing the floating market tour out of Bangkok and being obliged to go to the gemstone store and look at stuff I didn't want and couldn't afford....what was the point of coming halfway around the world to be herded around like a sheep? I started to think I'd spent all this money and all this time planning and I was just going to be disapponted on my great Asia adventure.
So thank God I came here. No gemstone shops! No tour operators! Just a real town with people in it (I know that sounds dumb but it's the truth). Doesn't hurt that the landscape is gorgeous as well.
This place is just going to stay in my heart forever. Perhaps someday I will get back (I hope so). If not, well that is just destiny and in any case, I'll never forget.
Thank you Sam Neua.
And especially thank you for having a bank that could give me a cash advance on my VISA card cuz I was so worried on the flight in with only 25 USD in my pocket...
- Pros:Very few tourists and so untouched and authentic
- Cons:The usual authentic power outages etc
- In a nutshell:A wonderful place
Really nice and just across the street from the Boun Hom guesthouse. The English menu is no problem, they will give it... more travel advice
Just wonderful, the food is good, the portions are more than enough, service is efficient, and the beer is cold...so... more travel advice
aemilys' Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Xam Nua
- 11 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Xam Nua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xam Nua
Photos in Xam NuaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Étretat Intro, 34 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Havre Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Xam Nua Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Roscoff Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Collioure Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Granville Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haute-Normandie Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos