"my home town ;-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Katowice by arantha
Katowice Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 476 photos
Katowice is city located in southern part of the country, in Silesia region, in province called Wojewodztwo Slaskie. It is 75 km from Krakow.
The city is 140 years old and has been founded for mining and metallurgic industry. That's why it is still very poluted and discourages its scenery. Few years ago I heard even an anecdote about some Japanese scientists who predicated that it's imposible for any human being to live in such a polluted area ;-)
I believe that visiting Katowice, your first feeling about this place is "I'm in the CONCRETE JUNGLE! Get me out of here!" :-) And you wouldn't be wrong. Tall post-communist blocks, wide polluted streets, gray scenery... You could think "it's not a place I wish to stay longer and get to know better"
let me warn you,what you would lose ;-P
Coming deeper into the down-town you can see some nice 19th and 20th century tenement houses and a big spaceship (SPODEK, the most famous building in Katowice).
However the bigest attractions are in the suburbs:
MUCHOWIEC is a huge part of the city with small local airport (except of this one we have the international one, obviously ;-) and a really big and wild park (it's more like a forest) with many lovely ponds.
The other big green space is PARK CHORZOWSKI, located in the nearest town Chorzów, which is closer from the center of Katowice than Muchowiec, to be honest. You can meet there three-legged giraffe :-) visit the ZOO, amusement park (the biggest in Poland as far as I remember :-) and the beautiful folk museum which contains traditional polish wooden rural building. Besides you can go there on the longest in Europe low lying cable-chair way or try to ride on the yearly bob-sleigh coast. You could spend also some time relaxing in lovely cafes or eating traditional silesian sausage from the barbecue :-)
It's not a 'must tourist destination', however if for some reason you are in the area, there is plenty of reasons to visit my home town, even if it seems to be a concrete jungle from the outside :-)
To be quite frank with you, I learned to appreciate and love this city recently, and I'm still discovering its charm day by day :)
Take a look at my pictures of the amazing sky over Katowice :-)
- Pros:green spaces, the longest in Europe low lying cable-chair way, spaceship in the center of the city, cheap beer, three-legged giraffe, ME :-)
- Cons:pollution, dust, smelly river, packed buses in the rush hours, lack of night life (uncommon thing for the university town, I suppose)
- In a nutshell:Katowice is not worth to be a travel destination, but if you are already there for some reason, there is many things to see there :-)
If you are looking for the object, building or a street in Katowice, you can easy find it on the online city map. You... more travel advice
The list of things Katowice are famous of ;-) - Rawa Blues Festival - the biggest indoor blues festival in the... more travel advice
arantha's Related Pages
Katowice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "my home town ;-)"
- "Ben-UK's Katowice Page"
- "A night in Katowice (for mistake!) ;-)"
- "My very personal Katowice page"
- "Rainbow's Katowice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Katowice
- Hotels in Katowice
- Transportation in Katowice
- Nightlife in Katowice
- Restaurants in Katowice
- Shopping in Katowice
- Warnings and Dangers in Katowice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Katowice
- 38 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Katowice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Katowice
Top 10 Pages
- Oslo Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 27 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katowice Intro, 38 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Przemysl Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stavanger Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 14 reviews
- Limassol Intro, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nyksund Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 1 travelogue