"Norway" Norway by arantha
Norway Travel Guide: 10,651 reviews and 30,157 photos
Norway is a beautiful country, located in the Northern Europe on the Scandinavian Peninsula. It's bordering with Sweden, Finland, Russia and with territorial waters of Denmark and Great Britain.
The oldest record of human remains in Norway were discovered in the Finnmark region and they are probably from the period betwen 9000 and 8000 BC. The Viking age started in 8th century (with the attack on cloister in Lindisfarne) and finished in the 11th century. In 9th century whole Norway consisted of many petty kingdoms, which have been gathered into one by Harald Hårfagre, who established the feudal state. The first church was built in Moster in 995, owning to king Olav Tryggvason, but the symbolic moment of Norway's christianization was the battle of Stiklestad in 1030, where king Olav Haraldsson died and became known as St. Olav. 13th century was Norway's "golden age", when the Norwegian territory included also Iceland, Greenland, Shetland Islands, Faroe Islands and Orkney Islands. In 14th century Norway was weakened by Hanseatic League and the black plague. In 1397 Norway was joined in the Kalmar Union with Sweden and Danmark . In 1523 Sweden came out of the union and Norway became more dependent on Denmark until 1814. After that time Norway was forced again into a personal union with Sweden. Norway regained the total independence only 100 years ago (in 1905).During WW I Norway was a neutral country and attempted to claim neutrality during WW II as well, but was invaded by German forces in 1940. In 1949 Norway joined NATO, but never became a member of EU, voting twice against the membership (1972 ans 1994). After descovering in the 60's and 70's the huge oil and gas pools at the bottom of the North Sea, Norway became one of the richest countries in the world.
Norway is divided into 19 administrative regions/counties, called fylker and 433 kommuner. Counties of Norway: Akershus, Aust-Agder, Buskerud, Finnmark, Hedmark, Hordaland, Møre og Romsdal, Nordland, Nord-Trøndelag, Oppland, Oslo, Østfold, Rogaland, Sogn og Fjordane, Sør-Trøndelag, Telemark, Troms, Vest-Agder, Vestfold.
Norwegian lanscape in mostly rugged and contains beautiful fjords and mountains topped by glaciers :) The northern part of the country, the most wild and rough, is also called the Land of the Midnight Sun, as every summer the sun doesn't fully set and every winter that part of the country remains in the darkness for a long time.
And don't ask me now why Norway is my favourite country!!! :D I have beet there twice and feel I could go back there every year and never get bored!!! :)
Besides all of that, I just love Norwegians and don't find them reserved at all! They are very friendly, helpful and their English is absolutely fantastic! Moreover it's a very patriotic and honest nation, what impresses me a lot. I have a great memories from Norway and a very strong hope I will go back there one day and stay til the end of my life... :)
What do I recommand you the most to see in Norway for the first time?
- OSLO - the beautiful Norway's capital, with friendly people and great atmosphere
- NORDKAPP - the North Cape- amazing weather and feeling that you are standing at the end of the world ;-)
- ARCTIC CIRCLE - it's nice to cross that magic line ;-)
- PREIKESTOLEN (near Stavanger) - the stunning Pulpit Rock overhanging the fjord
- TRONDHEIM - another beautiful city with Nidaros - the northernmost cathedral in the world
- LOFOTEN ISLANDS - the beauty of Norwegian landscapes in a nutshell
- BERGEN - lovely wooden buildings and the charm of medieval town; the UNESCO heritage
- Pros:fjords, trolls, mooses, reindeers, stunning wild nature, glaciers, beautiful architecture, Munch, tasty salmon, handsome vikings ;-)
- Cons:prices!!! :(((((((((((
- In a nutshell:Sometimes I wonder if there is anything else to admire in this world after seeing Norway...
arantha's Related Pages
Norway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "By HURTIGRUTEN through Norway"
- "great landscapes and more !"
- "Norway: The fjords land"
- "Norway - the nature in its purest form"
- "Saagar's Norway pages"
- "Trip to Urnes and Bergen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Norway
- Hotels in Norway
- Transportation in Norway
- Nightlife in Norway
- Restaurants in Norway
- Shopping in Norway
- Warnings and Dangers in Norway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Norway
- 23 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norway
Top 10 Pages
- Oslo Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 27 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katowice Intro, 38 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Przemysl Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stavanger Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 14 reviews
- Limassol Intro, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nyksund Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Norway hotels
- Tromsø Hotels
- 236 Reviews - 580 Photos
- Stavanger Hotels
- 302 Reviews - 996 Photos
- Oslo Hotels
- 2982 Reviews - 7247 Photos
- Bergen Hotels
- 945 Reviews - 2377 Photos
- Røros Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 159 Photos
- Trondheim Hotels
- 354 Reviews - 1035 Photos
- Stamsund Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 52 Photos
- Rjukan Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Larvik Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Florø Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Lillehammer Hotels
- 148 Reviews - 349 Photos
- Kristiansand Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 201 Photos
- Kongsberg Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 130 Photos
- Kirkenes Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Tyin Hotels
- See nearby hotels