"Nostalgia!" Top 5 Page for this destination Heraklion by Elena_blue

Heraklion Travel Guide: 309 reviews and 852 photos

Do you know what NOSTALGIA means in Greek?

Nostos means the desire to return home
Algos means pain

Now, nostalgia means the pain we feel by the desire to return to the home place, when we are away...

In this VT page for Heraklion you will find my Heraklion.
The place I was born, the place my beloved family and friends live, the place I always return...

Let's discover and rediscover it together!

In August 2006, I came to Heraklion to stay for 10 days, visit my parents and have some rest. Well, Heraklion is the only place on earth, where I can really rest and recharge my batteries.
After all, there is nothing left to be discovered, everything is well known.

So in these 10 days of my stay, I had not really things to do, unless going everyday to the beach…. Ohhh No thanx, not for me! I was never a sunshine beach fan!

So what else to do? Hmmm, that's the idea!
I will take my camera, a note book and a pen and I will go out to collect information for my VT Heraklion page. And yes I did it! It was really fun to go around to places I knew, to take photos of everything and keep notes of the taxi fares and restaurants menus!

It was funny and I enjoyed it !
I hope you will enjoy it too!

Please follow me to Heraklion, my home!
Be my guest and travel to Heraklion with my Travelogues.
I offer you a city tour, and some special information on different things I love here!
And of course many many tips on everything!

• Pros:A cretan, mediterranean port, rediscovering its charm!
  • Cons:Charm, but traffic jam...
  • In a nutshell:Home!
  • Last visit to Heraklion: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2007

Travelogues (1)

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I can detect your passion for Heraklion, what a great page. Amazing photos as well. Superb!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Interesting, you obviously don't get "churched out". One day I might get to Crete. Thanks for sharing.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM

thanx for the off the beaten path tips! :)

• laughingsun69's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Hi Elena , i enjoyed discovering Heraklion through your tips and photos , the nostalgia must be overwheling returning to such a lovely place , happy travels :)

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Geia Elena, congratulations for your Heraklion page. Some day I will do the same: take photos, write tips and complete my Alicante page. Carmen

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 2:33 AM

Thanks for the great tips and photos -- especially the ones concerning food and restaurants. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Thavmasio! Still awaiting more of Heraklion very rich attractions. Good job and lovely stuff. Best of luck (~_~)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 1:22 AM

Hello Elena. Very nice page here with good tips & gorgeous photos. My ratings are definitely with you! Greetings from the desert / Jess in Dubai :-)

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2007 at 7:11 AM

I like your intro, Elena, and 'nostalgia's short lesson; now let's see what I missed in my 3 days in Heraklio & Nosos, Agora's fruits for sure. Enjoyed Cretan Pineapple juice. thanx!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 12:44 AM

is it much different from other regions of greece , do we feel like in cyprus? being in greece without being exactly in greece

Elena_blue Was Born Here!

Elena_blue

“Fare forward, voyagers!”

Badges & Stats in Heraklion

Have you been to Heraklion?

Latest Activity in Heraklion