"Algiers the white, the capital of Algeria" Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers by eternel2002
Algiers Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 434 photos
Algiers (arabic name: Al-Jaza'ir) is the capital of Algeria and the most important Mediterranean port of northwest Africa, it's also nicknamed 'El bahdja' or "Alger la blanche" (Algeirs the white) because of its white buildings.
Algiers has a great and long history, it was governed by successive conquerors, romans, vandals, byzantians , arabs, spanish, ottomans and finaly french.
Algiers played a strategic role in World War II as the headquarters of De Gaulle's Free French army, as an important operation centre from 1943 until the conclusion of the war.
After 1957 Algiers become the epicentre of the Algerian war of liberation against french until 1962 when Algeria took its independance, the movie "The battle of Algiers" shows well this period of Algerian war liberation and a part of Algiers history.
Algiers is an exciting city when tradition and modernity live together,
The Casbah, forms the old city with its special architecture and small streets, the modern city forms the rest. It is a nice city with its warm mediterranean climate, hospitality, good hotels and restaurants, different museums and parcs, nice beaches and its unique beautiful bay.
This is one of the most beautiful mosques in algiers, it is in the city center, on the 'place des martyrs' (in arabic: sahat ech-chouhada), it was built in the 17th century.. a very nice mosque, white and beautiful from outside, Ididn't had chance to get inside but I'm sure it's beautiful too :)
La grande poste, it is the central poste office of algiers, one of the famous monuments of the city, but it is more thant that. it's an outsdanding masterpiece of art and architecture. very beautiful from outside and inside.
- Pros:Nice arhitecture, beautiful bay
Front de mer is one of the best places to be in Algiers, Walk along Ziround youcef boulevard, in one side you can see a... more travel advice
Alger centre (Algiers center), it's the center of the city where you can find all what you want, all major streets join... more travel advice
eternel2002's Related Pages
Algiers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALGER LA BLANCHE ~*~*~ EL-DJAZAIR AL-BAHDJA"
- "Unforgetable El-Djazaïr Al-Bahdja"
- "Algiers the white, the capital of Algeria"
- "ALGIERS - ROMAN AND FRENCH LEGACIES"
- "Alger La Blanche"
- "ALGIERS LA BLANCHE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algiers
- Hotels in Algiers
- Transportation in Algiers
- Nightlife in Algiers
- Restaurants in Algiers
- Shopping in Algiers
- Warnings and Dangers in Algiers
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Algiers
- 14 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Algiers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algiers
- Posted in Travel Algeria Forum "Re: I m An Algerian by birth and..."
- Wrote a Review Money, currency (Dinar) in Algiers Local Customs
- updated a Algiers Travel Page "Algiers the white, the capital of Algeria"
- Commented on one of Aurorae's Algiers travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Algiers the white, the capital of Algeria"
Photos in AlgiersSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Montreal Intro, 37 reviews, 94 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 19 reviews, 64 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos
- Budapest Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos
- Boston Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algeria Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos