"Malbork Castle" Malbork by xdescendx
Malbork Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 486 photos
The town was built around the fortress Ordensburg Marienburg which was founded in 1274 on the right bank of the river Nogat by the Teutonic Knights. Both the castle and the town of Marienburg were named for their patron saint, the Virgin Mary. This fortified castle became the seat of the Teutonic Order and Europe's largest Gothic fortress. However, it was sold during the Thirteen Years' War in 1457 to king Casimir IV of Poland by the Bohemian king's imperial soldiers in lieu of their pay. This separated the castle from the city in political terms, as the citizens there did resist Poland.
Under continuous construction for nearly 230 years, Ordensburg Marienburg is actually three castles nested in one another. A classic example of a medieval fortress, it is the world’s largest brick castle and one of the most impressive of its kind in Europe. The castle and its museum are listed as UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.
xdescendx's Related Pages
Malbork Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The world's largest medieval castle !"
- "Malbork - former capital of Teutonic Knights"
- "Funka, Malbork... (V)"
- "The Teutonic Castle of Marlbork"
- "Malbork Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malbork
- Hotels in Malbork
- Transportation in Malbork
- Restaurants in Malbork
- Shopping in Malbork
- Warnings and Dangers in Malbork
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malbork
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Malbork?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malbork
Photos in MalborkSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Poznan Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Republic of Montenegro Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Szczecin Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Krakow Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- New Jersey Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- South Lake Tahoe Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Chlopy Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Stowe Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos