Muhafazat Janub Sina' Things to Do Tips by Diana75 Top 5 Page for this destination
Muhafazat Janub Sina' Things to Do: 93 reviews and 196 photos
Fara'ûn (Hot Springs) – the water
We've been also told that another attraction of Fara'ûn are the sulphurous waters of the spring that have curative qualities and are used for thermal hydrotherapy.
The sulphurous water is specially advised in cases of skin infection, bronchi and lungs diseases, but there was no spa and everything it was deserted around so I don't think someone is going there for a regular cure.
The landscape in Sinai Peninsula is incredibly arid.
All you can see around is the red stone mountains and withered bushes.
An oasis of 2-3 palm trees seems a real paradise.
St. Catherine Monastery - The Icons Museum
Another interesting part of St. Catherine Monastery that shouldn’t be missed is the Icons and Old Scripts exhibition.
Interesting and old items such as icons, bibles or other religious objects are displayed inside this relatively small museum and some of them are unique.
Entrance fee: USD 3- for adults, USD 1- for children.
St. Catherine Monastery – The burning bush
Moses fled to the Sinai mountains in order to escape execution after being sentenced to death for assaulting and killing an Egyptian foreman who had beaten up an Israelite laborer.
Mt. Sinai was the place where one day God revealed himself to Moses in the Miracle of the Burning Bush and ordered him to save the children of Israel from captivity.
Inside St. Catherine Monastery is the burning bush but it is said that is not much left from the original one.
St. Catherine Monastery
St. Catherine Monastery is built at an altitude of 1,570m on the place where God, under the form of a burning bush, called Moses.
The Coptic church of the Monastery is small inside but full of beautiful paintings.
The Christian monks and hermits settled small monastic communities around Mt. Sinai since the 3rd century.
In 330 AD Saint Helena erected a small church to commemorate the spot where God appeared to Moses, and a tower to serve as secure shelter for the monks.
In the 6th century, the Byzantine Emperor Justinian ordered the building of a fortified monastery encompassing the church and tower.
Elijah's Basin - view from the mountain
Elijah's Basin is a sandy flat surface which lies between the northern extension of the mountain, Mount Safsafa, and the summit.
The white Church of Elijah commemorates the place where Elijah fled after killing the prophets of Baal.
The path from Elijah's Basin leads you to the Monastery in about one hour but is steep and harder than the other way.
Elijah's Basin is also the best place for camping.
Mt. Sinai – the chapel
On the top of Mt. Sinai is a small Christian chapel but this one cannot be visited.
Most of the times is closed and I've heard that it is opened only once a year for religious pilgrimages.
I've been told that the best place to sit for enjoying the best view of the sunrise is on the right side of the chapel but I think that at the end the sunrise can be seen from almost all the points on the top.
Sunrise on Mt. Sinai
Is indeed spectacular and is worth all the efforts to climb the mountain.
While climbing I've said that I will never repeat this experience again in the future even if someone would pay me, but now, think back at that moments, I will definitely do it without thinking twice.
Is a great experience and no one should miss it!
The Suez Channel
On our way to St. Catherine we stopped for a while at the point where the camions are embarked on the ferry for passing on the other side of the Suez Channel.
It may not be the best point for understating the importance of the Suez Channel but at least you can make an idea.
Unfortunately you are not allowed to take pictures as this is a military site, but I had some old pictures taken by my husband when he passed the Suez Channel with his ship on their way to South Africa.
Mt. Sinai – the steps
The steps are the last part of the climbing and the most difficult one.
If up to the stairs you can also take a camel and facilitate the climbing, from now on it's only up to you to arrive to the top.
For the ones traveling alone, an "experienced" guide can be "rented". The experience consists in pushing or drawing you up to the stairs and the ones who speak a bit of English can also encourage you.
A pocket lamp is mandatory, although, if you are lucky, the moon is a good companion.
More Reviews (15)
- See All St. Catherine Village souvenir shops
- See All Desert flowers
- Mt. Sinai – Packing list
- Camel ride on Mt. Sinai
- Crowds on the mountain
Diana75's Related Pages
Muhafazat Janub Sina' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Climbing the Holy Mountain"
- "The Sinai"
- "Climbing Up Mount Sinai"
- "Climbing Up Mt. Sinai At Night !"
- "Majestic Sunrise in Mt. Sinai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Hotels in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Transportation in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Nightlife in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Restaurants in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Shopping in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Warnings and Dangers in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sjeverni Velebit National Park Hotels
- North Wildwood Hotels
- Gonubie Manor Hotels
- Junction Hotels
- East Lansing
Badges & Stats in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- 32 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Muhafazat Janub Sina'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Posted in Travel Malta Forum "Re: Everybody who has travelled..."
- updated a Muhafazat Janub Sina' Travel Page "Climbing the Holy Mountain"
- Commented on one of sachara's Muhafazat Janub Sina' travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fara'ûn (Hot Springs) – the water"
- Wrote a Review St. Catherine Monastery - The Icons Museum in Muhafazat Janub Sina' Things to Do
Photos in Muhafazat Janub Sina'See All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues