"Small pieces of a beautiful dream" Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt by Diana75
Egypt Travel Guide: 16,090 reviews and 41,148 photos
When my friends decided that in 2005 we will go to Egypt I was more than sure that I will not join the group.
What I should see there beside the Pyramids and the Sphinx, I was thinking.
In my country Egypt is considered a traditional destination for seaside and swimming. Everybody goes to Hurghada or Sharm el Sheikh.
But do they really know something about the real Egypt? Because I obviously didn't.
About that Egypt that I started to discover in a warm and serene night of September, the Egypt that I started to love.
What made me change my mind?
An incredible country with extremely welcoming people.
Our adventure started with the long way to St. Catherine Monastery.
After a night spent in the plane (we landed at 3:25 am on Cairo Airport) this was not for sure the perfect way to spend the day.
But the travellers' spirit was still awake in us, so we decided to give the needed rest in order to explore the surroundings.
And this was for sure a tough decision considering that the night after we had to climb the Sinai Mountain to see the sunrise.
But could we miss the lovely moments spent in a local coffee shop?
Anyway this was the most "challenging" day of our trip.
From that moment on, everything was a real delight.
Aswan, the Nile cruise, Kom Ombo, the Egyptian party on the ship, Edfu, Luxor, the Belly dancing show, the Coptic churches around Cairo, Alexandria, an astonishing Cairo, dancing nights in the clubs, and even the 1st class train that frozen us to dead matched perfectly.
I've been travelling to many countries but I understood just now the meaning of the word "holiday".
Actually a perfect holiday!
Day 1 (19/09/2005): Arrival at Cairo International Airport. Start driving to St. Catherine with short stops to 'Uyun Musa (Spring of Moses), Fara'un (Hot Springs) and Feiran Oasis.
Day 2 (20/09/2005): Wake-up at 01:30 and start climbing the Mt. Sinai for watching the sunrise. Visit to St. Catherine Monastery. Drive back to Cairo and transfer to Giza Train Station. 1st Class train to Aswan.
Day 3 (21/09/2005): Arrival to Aswan and visit to the High Dam and the Unfinished Obelisk. Felucca ride to Botanical Gardens and outer view of Agha Khan. Transfer to Nile Cruise ship. Sailing to Kom Ombo and visit to the temple. Galabaya party on the ship.
Day 4 (22/09/2005): Sailing to Edfu and visit to the temple. Free afternoon on the ship (sunbath and swimming pool). Arrival to Luxor. Optional visit to the bazaar. Disco on the ship.
Day 5 (23/09/2005): Visit Luxor's West Bank (Valley of the Kings, El Deer El Bahari, Colossi of Memnon). Good bye party on the ship with belly dancing and folkloric Sufi Dancing show ("whirling dervish") followed by disco.
Day 6 (24/09/2005): Visit Luxor's East Bank (Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple). Visit to a Papyrus factory. Check out from the Nile Cruise and evening transfer to Luxor Train Station. 1st Class train to Cairo.
Day 7 (25/09/2005): Arrival to Cairo and visit the Coptic Cairo (El Muallaqa, Abu Serga Church, St. George Church, St. Barbara Church, Ben Ezra Synagogue). Participation to the Sunday Coptic Orthodox Mass in El Muallaqa.
Day 8 (26/09/2005): Drive to Alexandria and visit the Roman Theatre, Quaite Bay Forte, Alexandrine Library, St. Mark's Cathedral, Montazah Palace and Gardens. Short stop for a bath in Mediterranean Sea in Montazah Gardens. Drive back to Cairo.
Day 9 (27/09/2005): Visit the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, Shahinaz Parfume factory, the Citadel with Mohammed Ali Mosque and the Egyptian Museum. Dancing night out.
Day 10 (28/09/2005): Pilgrimage on the Footsteps of the Holy Family to the Christian churches in the Cairo area (Bilbays, Mostorod, Al Matariyah and Zeitun).
Day 11 (29/09/2005): Visit St. Mark Coptic Cathedral and Maadi Church. Afternoon visit to Khan el Khalili bazaar. Nile Cruise Farewell Dinner with Belly dancing and folkloric Sufi Dancing show ("whirling dervish").
Transfer to the airport for departure.
- In a nutshell:The perfect destination for my perfect holiday!
Most of the tourists traveling to Cairo choose to spend a wonderful evening on a Nile cruise ship admiring the city by... more travel advice
From the bus parking until the entrance in the Valley of the Kings in Luxor we took a mini-train with to cars. You can... more travel advice
- See All Maadi Church in Cairo
- See All Eat while watching the Sphinx
- See All Don't try to take pictures inside the...
- See All The Great Sphinx
Diana75's Related Pages
Egypt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "EGYPT - DECODING THE PAST"
- "Egypt- "Welcome to Egypt, Where's my tip? ""
- "Small pieces of a beautiful dream"
- "Another point of view on history of Egypt"
- "Paul2001's Egypt Page"
- "Nile Cruise- experience the Pharaonic times &Sharm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Egypt
- Hotels in Egypt
- Transportation in Egypt
- Nightlife in Egypt
- Restaurants in Egypt
- Shopping in Egypt
- Warnings and Dangers in Egypt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Egypt
- 234 Reviews
- 545 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Egypt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Egypt
- Posted in Travel Malta Forum "Re: Everybody who has travelled..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Small pieces of a beautiful dream"
- updated a Egypt Travel Page "Small pieces of a beautiful dream"
- Commented on one of Paul2001's Egypt travel pages
- Wrote a Review Night cruise on the Nile in Cairo in Egypt Nightlife
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues