"Small pieces of a beautiful dream" Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt by Diana75

Egypt Travel Guide: 16,112 reviews and 41,014 photos

When my friends decided that in 2005 we will go to Egypt I was more than sure that I will not join the group.
What I should see there beside the Pyramids and the Sphinx, I was thinking.
In my country Egypt is considered a traditional destination for seaside and swimming. Everybody goes to Hurghada or Sharm el Sheikh.

But do they really know something about the real Egypt? Because I obviously didn't.

About that Egypt that I started to discover in a warm and serene night of September, the Egypt that I started to love.

What made me change my mind?
An incredible country with extremely welcoming people.

"I've still got sand in my shoes..."

Our adventure started with the long way to St. Catherine Monastery.
After a night spent in the plane (we landed at 3:25 am on Cairo Airport) this was not for sure the perfect way to spend the day.
But the travellers' spirit was still awake in us, so we decided to give the needed rest in order to explore the surroundings.
And this was for sure a tough decision considering that the night after we had to climb the Sinai Mountain to see the sunrise.

But could we miss the lovely moments spent in a local coffee shop?

Anyway this was the most "challenging" day of our trip.
From that moment on, everything was a real delight.

Aswan, the Nile cruise, Kom Ombo, the Egyptian party on the ship, Edfu, Luxor, the Belly dancing show, the Coptic churches around Cairo, Alexandria, an astonishing Cairo, dancing nights in the clubs, and even the 1st class train that frozen us to dead matched perfectly.

I've been travelling to many countries but I understood just now the meaning of the word "holiday".

Actually a perfect holiday!

My program

Day 1 (19/09/2005): Arrival at Cairo International Airport. Start driving to St. Catherine with short stops to 'Uyun Musa (Spring of Moses), Fara'un (Hot Springs) and Feiran Oasis.

Day 2 (20/09/2005): Wake-up at 01:30 and start climbing the Mt. Sinai for watching the sunrise. Visit to St. Catherine Monastery. Drive back to Cairo and transfer to Giza Train Station. 1st Class train to Aswan.

Day 3 (21/09/2005): Arrival to Aswan and visit to the High Dam and the Unfinished Obelisk. Felucca ride to Botanical Gardens and outer view of Agha Khan. Transfer to Nile Cruise ship. Sailing to Kom Ombo and visit to the temple. Galabaya party on the ship.

Day 4 (22/09/2005): Sailing to Edfu and visit to the temple. Free afternoon on the ship (sunbath and swimming pool). Arrival to Luxor. Optional visit to the bazaar. Disco on the ship.

Day 5 (23/09/2005): Visit Luxor's West Bank (Valley of the Kings, El Deer El Bahari, Colossi of Memnon). Good bye party on the ship with belly dancing and folkloric Sufi Dancing show ("whirling dervish") followed by disco.

Day 6 (24/09/2005): Visit Luxor's East Bank (Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple). Visit to a Papyrus factory. Check out from the Nile Cruise and evening transfer to Luxor Train Station. 1st Class train to Cairo.

Day 7 (25/09/2005): Arrival to Cairo and visit the Coptic Cairo (El Muallaqa, Abu Serga Church, St. George Church, St. Barbara Church, Ben Ezra Synagogue). Participation to the Sunday Coptic Orthodox Mass in El Muallaqa.

Day 8 (26/09/2005): Drive to Alexandria and visit the Roman Theatre, Quaite Bay Forte, Alexandrine Library, St. Mark's Cathedral, Montazah Palace and Gardens. Short stop for a bath in Mediterranean Sea in Montazah Gardens. Drive back to Cairo.

Day 9 (27/09/2005): Visit the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, Shahinaz Parfume factory, the Citadel with Mohammed Ali Mosque and the Egyptian Museum. Dancing night out.

Day 10 (28/09/2005): Pilgrimage on the Footsteps of the Holy Family to the Christian churches in the Cairo area (Bilbays, Mostorod, Al Matariyah and Zeitun).

Day 11 (29/09/2005): Visit St. Mark Coptic Cathedral and Maadi Church. Afternoon visit to Khan el Khalili bazaar. Nile Cruise Farewell Dinner with Belly dancing and folkloric Sufi Dancing show ("whirling dervish").
Transfer to the airport for departure.

• In a nutshell:The perfect destination for my perfect holiday!
  • Last visit to Egypt: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2006

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2008 at 9:54 AM

This is surely one of the best pages on Egypt. Very nice and informative tips. Shall come back for more.

• travelnurse21's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2008 at 1:54 AM

Wonderful page on Egypt! I'm going in April and am very excited. I hope I have as much fun and love the country as much as you did. ~Avery

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 6:07 PM

ღ♫•:*¨`*:• La Multi Ani! •:*¨`*:•♫ღ

• matt10gonzalez's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Wow! What a beautiful front page of pictures! Yuo took all of that? Wonderful! Yeah, that's true! Everybody thinks of Egypt as a swimming destination. Cheers from the Philippines!

• kelnsha's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 12:18 AM

Great tips & photos! Cheers from Singapore!

• veigapaula's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Besides this lovely country that you went last 2005, have you been elsewhere and do you wanna share?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Interesting and usuful tips! I'm planning my own visit to Egypt and searching info. Your page is quite in time, Diana! Thanks for sharing and virtual travel. Coptic Cairo impressed me much. I'll try to repeat something from your paths...

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 4:17 AM

Totally Totally AWESOME! This seems like the perfect itinerary to see what Egypt has to offer. Bravo Diana. Kom-Ombo & Edfu Temples - Valley of the Kings - Great Pyramids - Great stuff!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 3:11 PM

Just one word: F A N T A S T I C! You made my evening and I started to think over a vist to Egypt (again).

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 5:45 AM

See you spent many nights building your Cairo pages with gr8 pics and info. I only got as far as Ras El Tur on the Sinia Peninsula before it was given back. Spent many months in the desert with the Beduin. Greetings.Tim

Diana75

“Happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it solely depends on what you think”

Badges & Stats in Egypt