"Maria Radna Basilica Minor" Lipova by Diana75
Lipova Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 32 photos
Maria Radna is probably Romania's most important catholic pilgrimage site.
Located in the western part of Romania, on the right bank of the river Mures and part of the town of Lipova, on the other side of the river, the place was first mentioned in 1440.
The first Franciscan monks came here from Bosnia around 1325 and put the basis of the future monastery.
In the early 18th century the old church became too small and it was decided to build a new one.
The current baroque church was build between 1727 and 1782 and the famous image of Our Lady was brought here from the old church.
Pope John Paul II granted Maria Radna the status of "Basilica minor" in 1992.
Maria Radna - The pilgrimage place Maria Radna - The pilgrimage place more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Lipova Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lipova
- 16 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Lipova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lipova
Photos in LipovaSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues