"Gouda - Lovely Dutch city!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gouda by Diana75

Gouda Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 438 photos

With a population of around 72,000 inhabitants, Gouda is a city in western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland.
Located at the confluence of Hollandse IJssel and the Gouwe and crossed by several channels, anyone would be tempted to think that Gouda has nothing else to offer than its famous cheese.

But this small town has much more to offer: the stained glass church, the syrup waffles, the pottery, and the candles (here is located the biggest Dutch manufacturer) or just a pleasant walk on its narrow peaceful streets.

In the center of the city is located the main square, Markt, with the charming tall Town Hall, the Stadhuis. From June to August, the Markt houses the cheese and craft markets.

Not to be missed in Gouda: Markt, Stadhuis, Goudse Glazen, tasting the Gouda cheese and the syrup waffles.

Gouda cheese shop

Gouda channels

• In a nutshell:Peaceful, Lovely, Interesting!!!
  • Last visit to Gouda: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I still remember the visit here and sampling all the Gouda cheese varieties. We bought too much. You did a very nice job of presenting this town and its culture.

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 5:48 AM

Nice pages and pictures of Gouda, greetings from John and Gail in NJ

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Great descriptions and pictures of very charming, old town. Magnificent stained-glass windows, indeed. I didn't know about syrup waffles.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2007 at 4:50 AM

Hans & I have yet to visit Gouda, but we will some day. I looove stroopwafels, they are lekker ( Dutch for delicious)

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 4:45 PM

I was in Gouda many years ago so this page brought back happy memories. I don't remember the Town Hall though, it's really amazing. Lovely photos and tips. Nice Page ! Katherine:)

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 12:21 PM

A great page. I feel hungry just thinking about those waffles.

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Gouda looks a really nice place to visit -- think I'd have to restrict the number of waffles I had though ! -- another very good page Diana.

• hojasdehierba's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 1:39 PM

No doubt: there is something else than delicious cheese in Gouda! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Feb 21, 2006 at 12:51 PM

A wonderful page on Gouda, Diana.I liked the cheese shop! Thank you!

Diana75

“Happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it solely depends on what you think”

Badges & Stats in Gouda