Mgarr Things to Do Tips by Diana75
Mgarr Things to Do: 10 reviews and 15 photos
Mgarr Marina view from the ferry to Malta
The small yacht marina was established on the furthest end, off iz-Zewwieqa at the beginning of 1990.
Not as famous as others Marinas in the Mediterranean, the popularity of this beautiful corner of the harbour increased over the years and today an important number of yachts are choosing Mgarr for berthing during winter.
Fort Chambray view from Mgarr Harbour
The Fort Chambray is located on the left-hand side of the hill.
Built in the 18th Century, this fortified city was intended to be the most important destination on Gozo.
The Fort took its name from a Norman Count of the Order of St John named Francois Chambray, who was also the person that financed the construction works.
Lourdes Chapel view from Mgarr
Mgarr harbour is obviously dominated by the gothic church of our Lady of Lourdes, built on the hill that used to be known as "tal-Qortin".
It is said that back 1879 some visitor said that the rocks of the hill were similar to the Grotto Lourdes and a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes was put on this place.
The works to the chapel started in 1888 and were finished in 1892.
The church was consecrated in 1893 and became a place of pilgrimage for people from all over the island.
View of Ghajnsielem from Mgarr
Ghajnsielem, meaning "a peaceful spring", is the first village on Gozo met soon after leaving Mgarr Harbor.
Among the attractions to be visited here are: the majestic Lombard-Gothic sanctuary dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto, the old parish church and Pjazza tad-Dehra, square of the apparition, where it is believed that the Virgin Mary has spoken to a local shepherd Anglu Grech and the old Franciscan convent and church of St. Anthony of Padua.
View of Mgarr harbour from the ferry
Built at the foot of Ras it-Tafal, the vivid Mgarr harbour is a throng of stores, warehouses and boats.
The number of passengers arrving to Gozo increased over the years and for the future, the construction of a new and larger passenger terminal it is envisaged.
More Reviews (3)
Diana75's Related Pages
Mgarr Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mgarr - the gateway to Gozo"
- "Mgarr (Malta)"
- "Mgarr Harbour, MT"
- "Welcome to Gozo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mgarr
- Hotels in Mgarr
- Transportation in Mgarr
- Restaurants in Mgarr
- Shopping in Mgarr
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mgarr
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Mgarr?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mgarr
Photos in MgarrSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues