"Xewkija's Rotunda" Xewkija by Diana75
Xewkija Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 41 photos
Located half way from the Mgarr Harbour to the capital town of Victoria, Xewkija is considered the oldest village in Gozo.
The village became the first parish outside Victoria on the 27th November 1678 by Bishop Molina.
The word Xewkija is derived from Arabic meaning an area of vast fields full of thorns which characterized the region in the past.
The first parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was erected and consecrated in 1755.
After the 2nd World War, with the growth of the population, there was the need for a larger church. The architect Joseph D'Amato, inspired by the famous Basilica of Santa Maria Della Salute in Venice, drew the plans of the new church and the first stone was laid down in 1951.
Today, the majestic Rotunda, dedicated to St John The Baptist, is Xewkija's distinctive landmark and parish church.
At the entrance to the Rotunda is an information board with details about the impressive works to the church, its items... more travel advice
The entrance to the modern sacristy is located on the right side of the Main Altar. Its item of interest is the... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Xewkija Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Xewkija
- 17 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Xewkija?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xewkija
Photos in XewkijaSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues