"The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report" Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City by Diana75
Vatican City Travel Guide: 1,329 reviews and 4,129 photos
A place like all the others and still unique in its mission, a place marked by the history and men and still above the time and mankind, a place where we all can touch the miracle of our creation, our existance as Christians.
A visit to The Holy See is a pilgrimage to our origins, a meeting with our Christian faith and the memory of the Apostles and martyres.
"The Church can regard no one as excluded from its motherly embrace, no one as outside the scope of its motherly care. It has no enemies except those who wish to make themselves such. Its catholicity is no idle boast. It was not for nothing that it received its mission to foster love, unity and peace among men." (Paul VI, Ecclesiam suam, 94)
As Christian and Catholic, I will never conceive a visit to Rome without visiting the Vatican City, the spiritual centre of the Christendom, with the famous Saint Peter's Basilica and the other three Basilicas located outside the Holy See walls: Saint John in Lateran, Saint Mary Major and Saint Paul outside the Walls, the impressive Vatican Museums, the beautiful Gardens and the fantastic St. Peter's Square.
Vatican City, officially State of the Vatican City is, since the Lateran Agreement (1929), an independent state and actually the world's smallest state, actually a microstate, spreading on approximately 44 ha, having only one thousand citizens.
Other properties of the Holy See located outside the Vatican, in the Italian territory, such as Castel Gandolfo and the Patriarchal Basilicas, have a special status similar to the one of the foreign embassies.
A city within the city and a State within a State, but the whole world in it.
The Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church
The state is governed by the Bishop of Rome (the Pope) and the highest state functionaries are all clergymen of the Catholic Church.
The Holy Father is ex officio head of state and head of government of Vatican City. He is the only absolute monarch in Europe.
The Pope is elected for a life term in conclave by cardinals under the age of 80.
The current Pope is Benedict XVI, born Joseph Ratzinger in Germany.
Governatorato della Citta' di Vaticano more travel advice
- See All Souvenirs Transpontina
- See All St. Peter's Basilica length
- See All Walking around
- Saint Peter's Basilica: Climbing up the...
Diana75's Related Pages
Vatican City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vatican City - Holy See"
- "The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report"
- "Destination: Citta Del Vaticano"
- "A country in a City!"
- "VATICAN CITY"
- "The Smallest Country in the World"
- "Papal Palace, Papal City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vatican City
- Hotels in Vatican City
- Transportation in Vatican City
- Nightlife in Vatican City
- Restaurants in Vatican City
- Shopping in Vatican City
- Warnings and Dangers in Vatican City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vatican City
- 75 Reviews
- 251 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Vatican City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vatican City
- updated a Vatican City Travel Page "The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report"
- Posted in Travel Malta Forum "Re: Everybody who has travelled..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visiting the dome of St. Peter's Basilica"
- Wrote a Review Governatorato della Citta' di Vaticano in Vatican City Favorites
- Commented on one of globetrott's Vatican City travel pages
Photos in Vatican CitySee All Photos (251)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues