"Gol stave church" Gol by Diana75
Gol Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 58 photos
The small town of Gol, with its more than 4,500 inhabitants, is located in Buskerud district, on the main road from Bergen to Oslo.
Renown for its beautiful stave church, Gol is a picturesque and peaceful town, surrounded by a beautiful green mountain landscape.
Beside its famous stave church, another attraction of Gol is Bygdetun, a small museum, a subsidiary of Hallingdal Museum.
According to Wikipedia - The Free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org) "a stave church is a medieval wooden church with a post and beam construction related to timber framing.
The wall frames are filled with vertical planks. The load-bearing posts (in the Old Norse stavr) have lent their name to the building technique.
The churches are grouped into two categories:
-> the first without free-standing posts, often referred to as Type A,
-> the second with a raised roof and with free-standing internal posts, usually termed Type B.
Those with the raised roof, Type B, are often further divided in two subgroups:
- the Kaupanger group with a whole arcade row of posts and intermediate posts along the sides and details mimicking stone like capital, giving an impression of a basilica;
- the Borgund group with cross braces joining upper and lower string beams and the posts, forming a very rigid interconnection, and resembling the triforium of stone basilicas".
Gol stave church belongs to this second group, Borgund group.
Other churches in the same group are to be found in Borgund, Hegge, Hore (Hurum), Lomen, Ringebu (for more information visit my Ringebu page) and Oye.
Once in Norway there were approximately 800 to 1000 stave churches but only 30 original stave churches remain today.
Several have been moved, re-erected and preserved at new locations. Replicas of some have been built in the United States.
At the entrance to the Gol stave church site, a small shop is selling typical Norwegian souvenirs such as trolls'... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Gol Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gol
- 14 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Gol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gol
Photos in GolSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues