"Ringebu Stav Kirke" Ringebu by Diana75
Ringebu Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 58 photos
Located in Oppland district, at an altitude of 182 m above the sea, the small town of Ringebu has no more than 4,700 inhabitants.
Due to its location, in the middle of Gudbrandsdal valley surrounded by Venabygdsfjellet Mountains, near the first national park of Norway, Rondane, Rinbegu is a good destination for the ones who love the nature and sport.
But Ringebu is famous mainly due to its old stave church, dating from 1220, one of the last 28 stave churches in Norway that survived until today and one of the biggest.
Norwegian Stave churches
Beside the fact that the stave churches are one of the most important attractions of the country, in Norway is also the biggest number of churches that survived from ancient times.
The stave churches were built by the first Christians and had initially other features and forms. For example the windows were inexistent and the light entered only through small openings located in the upper part of the walls.
The persons attending the mass were standing and only the old and sick persons were sitting on banks located all along the walls.
Some of the stave churches of today still keep old representations and paintings presenting Scandinavian goddesses.
Also in some of the churches you'll find a Vikings ship model that's representing the journey of the dead person's soul from this life to the eternal one.
Stave churches in Norway, wooden churches in Romania
For me, as Romanian, the visit to some of Norway's stave churches was important for two reasons.
First of all, I couldn't miss at all these works of art, the oldest in the world.
Secondly, I definitely had the chance to make a comparison with the interesting wooden churches in the northern part of my country (the area called Maramures) also surviving from old times.
And both of them really worth a visit!
- In a nutshell:Not to be missed!
For sure, not so many tourists are missing the photo with the girls taking care of the church. Very gentile and kind,... more travel advice
Ringebu stave church is still today the main church in the parish of Ringebu. The church is open for guided visits... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Ringebu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ringebu Stav Kirke"
- "Friisvegen and Stave Church"
- "Ringebu Stave Church"
- "Bicycling at Friisveien"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ringebu
- 14 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Ringebu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ringebu
Photos in RingebuSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues