"The city of Saint Birgitta" Vadstena by Diana75
Vadstena Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 79 photos
Located on the shores of Lake Vattern, Sweden's second largest lake, Vadstena with its 7,600 inhabitants can be considered more an "off the beaten path" destination than an usual attraction for the typical foreign tourists.
Despite being the site of a well-preserved Swedish royal castle and St. Birgitta's first monastery of Bridgettine Order, and also one of Sweden's most charming and historically significant towns, I have to admit that I haven't seen Vadstena included in none of the tours I have studied before our trip to Sweden.
Well, surprisingly or not, for us Vadstena was the core of our Scadinavian tour. A pilgrimage on the steps of Saint Birgitta of Sweden, Europe's Patron Saint.
There is a lot to see and experience in Vadstena.
If not for the peaceful atmosphere or for a wonderful walk on the narrow streets surrounded by buildings dating from the 13th - 16th Centuries, definitely for Vadstena Castle, dating from the 16th century in the times of Gustav Vasa and for the Abbey Church with the new Sancta Birgitta Convent Museum, opened in 2003 by King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, a visit to Vadstena is really worth.
Another interesting destination in the area is Alvastra, located at only 25km from Vadstena.
Alvastra is the town where Saint Birgitta stayed for a period and where today can be visited the ruins of the first Cistercian church to be erected in Scandinavia in 1143 by French monks.
In 1999, John Paul II appointed Saint Birgitta as one of the Patron Saints of Europe. She shares this honor with two... more travel advice
And this is another example to confirm my theory that Vadstena is not a conventional place after all. What do you think... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Vadstena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The city of Saint Birgitta"
- "Packed with history"
- "Vadstena: absolutely worth a visit!"
- "V A D S T E N A"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vadstena
- 25 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Vadstena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vadstena
Photos in VadstenaSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues