"Hillerød and its magnificent castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Hillerød by Diana75
Hillerød Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 173 photos
Located in Frederiksborg County in North Zealand (Sjaelland), the pretty town of Hillerod covers an area of 133 sqm and has a total population of 37,291 inhabitants.
As a result of the Municipality Reform in Denmark, on January 1st, 2007 Hillerod municipality will merge with Skaevinge, thus creating a municipality with an area of 191 sqm and a population of 43,337 inhabitants.
Hillerod's attractions are:
-> The Frederiksborg Castle one of the most well-known monuments in Denmark, seat of the Danish kings for a long period of time, housing now the Frederiksborg Museum;
-> The Fredensborg Palace, located 5 miles north of Hillerod, is the summer residence for the royal family;
-> The Town Museum (Bymuseet) with a permanent exhibition presenting the history of Hillerod;
-> Aebelholt Klosterruin (The ruins of the Aebelholt Monastery) with the ruins of the largest monastery in Scandinavia;
-> Esrum Kloster (The monastery of Esrum) a Cistercian monastery dating from 1151.
Frederiksborg Castle was initially a manor house called Hillerodsholm owned by the nobleman, Herluf Trolle, and his wife, Birgitte Goye.
King Frederik II acquired the manor in 1560 and renamed it Frederiksborg after his name.
King Frederik II was also the one who commissioned the oldest parts of the castle.
In 1599 Christian IV, who was born at Frederiksborg and was very attached to it, replaced the old buildings with a magnificent new Renaissance Castle.
The Chapel was completed in 1617 and is one of the few preserved interiors with the original ornamentation from the time of Christian IV.
The castle burnt in 1859 but was rebuilt from 1860-84 with financial support of the brewer J. C. Jacobsen and later of Carlsberg Foundation.
The National History Museum, founded by the brewer J. C. Jacobsen, has been housed in the castle since 1878.
I don't know if this old Volvo has something to do with the castle (maybe a visitor just came here with this car), but... more travel advice
I liked this wooden bridge over the water around the castel. It was so simple compared to the magestic castle that I... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Hillerød Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hillerød and its magnificent castle"
- "Castle town"
- "Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød"
- "Hiller?d, Danmark's C4 city"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hillerød
- 20 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Hillerød?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hillerød
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues