"Vicenza - "Venezia on terra firma"" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza by Diana75

Vicenza Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 867 photos

"Venice on solid ground"

Everything in Vicenza is about Palladio. You cannot even mention the name of the town and not say that, due to this great architect, Vicenza probably has more monumental buildings per inhabitant than any other city in Italy.

Palladio transformed Vicenza into the glorious Renaissance town of our days and just walking down Vicenza's main boulevard, Corso Andrea Palladio, and admiring the remarkable Renaissance palaces and Palladian facades, you can understand why Vicenza’s nickname is "Venezia on terra firma" (“Venice on solid ground” in English).

16 out of the 23 Villas projected by Palladio were built around Vicenza and their important value was recognized by the World Heritage of UNESCO.

I stopped in Vicenza for the first time in 2002 but my 2-day business trip didn’t let me enough time to visit the town. Despite this, my first stop was enough to understand that Vicenza definitely deserves a closer look.

Equipped with a detailed guide and a good map, ignoring the risk that I might not arrive to Milan due to the railway strike (another one!!!), I stopped again in Vicenza in May 2006 and I let myself overwhelmed by the beauty of this city.

• Last visit to Vicenza: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2006

• kandy1963's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Very nice pics from Vicenza. It reminds me that I always wanted to go back there.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Very informative page full of outstanding pictures of beautiful architecture. I've learn a lot. Thanks for info on Andrea Palladio, I didn't know.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 4:27 AM

Vicenza looks beautiful according to your wonderful pictures, but I would love to return again to learn what they actually are about, when you are finished.

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2006 at 12:10 AM

O destinatie care nu trebuie ocolita! Imaginile pe care le-ai surprins in timpul calatoriei tale sunt dovada acestui lucru. Gabriela

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 3:10 PM

And I thought I took a lot of pictures! Certainly a different day to when I was there. Thanks for sharing.

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 5:49 AM

Yet another nice page :) You know the name of the hotel I stayed in Venice (in Mestre actually) was Palladio :) Succes building VT tips! Nice travels you did there!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 2:30 AM

Nice start on your new page. Looking forward to seeing more texts on the tips.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 4:07 AM

Hi Diana Vicenza looks so beautiful Def a place to visit - was in the neighourhood this weekend Verona and the Garda Lake - A beautiful spot aswell in N.Italy Greetz

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2006 at 6:02 AM

Beautiful photos. I hope you will write more about Vicenza!

Diana75

“Happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it solely depends on what you think”

Badges & Stats in Vicenza

Have you been to Vicenza?