"The Holy Family journey in Egypt: Al Matariyah" Al Matariyah by Diana75
Al Matariyah Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 41 photos
Egypt was part of one of the major events in the biblical history: the journey of Jesus Christ with his mother, the Virgin Mary, and Joseph.
Many of the sites where they stopped are located in Cairo and its surroundings and became now important pilgrimage destinations for both Christian and Muslims.
Although there are many interesting sites, beside the Coptic Cairo and Maadi Church, we have visited only three of these: Al Matariyah, Belbeis and Mostorod.
The Holy Family arrived in Al Matariyah coming from Wadi Al-Natrun, the centre of monastic Coptic Orthodox Church life.
They then left the desert behind and made their way southwards, crossing the Nile to its eastern bank, in order to arrive to Al Matariyah and Ain Shams.
At AI Matariya the Holy Family sheltered under a tree known nowadays as the Virgin Mary's tree.
Here is also the spring of water from which Jesus drank, and blessed it.
I've put all the interesting places in Al Matariyah under the "Things to do" chapter, according to the order they are located from the entrance to the site; while under the "Off the beaten path" are some details I've particularly liked there.
Numerous representations of the Holy Family journey in Egypt can be found all over the place. The first one is... more travel advice
I've been pretty impressed about the rich vegetation inside Al Matariyah site. Interesting trees in full blossom,... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Al Matariyah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Holy Family journey in Egypt: Al Matariyah"
- "Matarea, site of the flight of the Holy Family"
- "The Obelisk of Ancient Heliopolis"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Matariyah
- 13 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Al Matariyah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Matariyah
Photos in Al MatariyahSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues