"CAIRO... still thinking of..." Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo by Diana75
Cairo Travel Guide: 3,991 reviews and 9,548 photos
Without a doubt my visit to Cairo was unforgettable.
Months passed since my return home and I'm still thinking of the beautiful moments spent there, wishing to be back and explore more.
When I wrote the first intro to my VT Cairo page I hardly found the words to put on paper my real feelings about this city and now, writing an update, although my feelings are strengthened but so fresh and vibrant, I still feel that it's hard to find the right words to describe it.
Exotic atmosphere, chaotic traffic, thousand of minarets, noise, unpredictable but charming people, the population of my whole country in just one city...
Yes, this could be a short description of Cairo, but for sure these empty words are not saying anything about the great experience of visiting this marvelous city.
Because... Cairo is not a city like others...
Cairo is a whole world...
I've read a lot of comments here on VT about others' experiences in Cairo and I've noticed that the opinions were either very good or very bad.
I must admit that I'm in the first category.
I don't know if we were just lucky to have a great company and enjoy every second spent there, but I'm sure that comparing Cairo to another big city in the world is the biggest mistake one can do.
Cairo has to be taken like it is... with the donkeys' fair organized ad-hoc in the middle of the street and ruined buildings but also with its modern city center, with traditional men in galabaya sitting on the pavement or the elegant business men, with the old carriages but also latest type of cars...
I found in Cairo a piece of every place in the world I've ever visited, even though I've never found a piece of Cairo in any of these places.
Well, I know that Paul Brunton was the only European ever given permission to spend an entire night alone in the Great Pyramid, but reading his book "A search in Secret Egypt" made me meditate to the words of his guide (Chapter 4 - A night in the Great Pyramid):
"My son, it matters not whether thou discoverest the door or not. Find but the secret passage within the mind that will lead thee to the hidden chamber within thine own soul, and thou shalt have found something worthy indeed. The mystery of the Great Pyramid is the mystery of thine own self. The secret chambers and ancient records are all contained in thine own nature. The lesson of the Pyramid is that man must turn inward, must venture to the unknown centre of his being to find his soul..."
And even if I'm sure that I will never have the opportunity to spend a night alone in the Great Pyramid (I will probably be too afraid anyway), I cannot stop dreaming of spending at least a night in front of the Sphinx, seeing the sun going down on him, staying in total darkness and trying to imagine all the things that marched in front of his eyes, until the colors of the new day will surround him.
Hmmm, what a great experience would be...
- In a nutshell:Amazing city!
Due to an unpleasant incident, an old lady from our group needed some medical assistance while staying in Cairo. The... more travel advice
The Solar Boat Museum is located behind the Khufu's Pyramid and is displaying five boat pits discovered buried in one of... more travel advice
- See All Local sweets from Khan el-Khalili
- See All Are there any other possibilities?
- See All The River Nile
- Cairo survival kit
- See All The Nile by night
Diana75's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "The 4 days were far from enough"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 70 Reviews
- 187 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (187)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues