"CAIRO... still thinking of..." Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo by Diana75

Cairo Travel Guide: 3,991 reviews and 9,548 photos

Without a doubt my visit to Cairo was unforgettable.

Months passed since my return home and I'm still thinking of the beautiful moments spent there, wishing to be back and explore more.

When I wrote the first intro to my VT Cairo page I hardly found the words to put on paper my real feelings about this city and now, writing an update, although my feelings are strengthened but so fresh and vibrant, I still feel that it's hard to find the right words to describe it.

Exotic atmosphere, chaotic traffic, thousand of minarets, noise, unpredictable but charming people, the population of my whole country in just one city...

Yes, this could be a short description of Cairo, but for sure these empty words are not saying anything about the great experience of visiting this marvelous city.

Because... Cairo is not a city like others...

Cairo is a whole world...

Cairo is... Cairo

I've read a lot of comments here on VT about others' experiences in Cairo and I've noticed that the opinions were either very good or very bad.

I must admit that I'm in the first category.

I don't know if we were just lucky to have a great company and enjoy every second spent there, but I'm sure that comparing Cairo to another big city in the world is the biggest mistake one can do.

Cairo has to be taken like it is... with the donkeys' fair organized ad-hoc in the middle of the street and ruined buildings but also with its modern city center, with traditional men in galabaya sitting on the pavement or the elegant business men, with the old carriages but also latest type of cars...

I found in Cairo a piece of every place in the world I've ever visited, even though I've never found a piece of Cairo in any of these places.

A night in the Great Pyramid?

Well, I know that Paul Brunton was the only European ever given permission to spend an entire night alone in the Great Pyramid, but reading his book "A search in Secret Egypt" made me meditate to the words of his guide (Chapter 4 - A night in the Great Pyramid):

"My son, it matters not whether thou discoverest the door or not. Find but the secret passage within the mind that will lead thee to the hidden chamber within thine own soul, and thou shalt have found something worthy indeed. The mystery of the Great Pyramid is the mystery of thine own self. The secret chambers and ancient records are all contained in thine own nature. The lesson of the Pyramid is that man must turn inward, must venture to the unknown centre of his being to find his soul..."

And even if I'm sure that I will never have the opportunity to spend a night alone in the Great Pyramid (I will probably be too afraid anyway), I cannot stop dreaming of spending at least a night in front of the Sphinx, seeing the sun going down on him, staying in total darkness and trying to imagine all the things that marched in front of his eyes, until the colors of the new day will surround him.

Hmmm, what a great experience would be...

• In a nutshell:Amazing city!
  • Last visit to Cairo: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 31, 2007

• lahoree's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Hi, how about camping for a night besides pyramids. Is it allowed?

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Great to watch your page again. We are arriving there on 13th October for a 6 day visit.

• sunlovey's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM

LOVE the enthusiasm of your Cairo Intro, delving into the rest now! Thank you!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Have enjoyed reading your tips and looking at your photos. You saw a lot in Cairo when you were there, and I guess, plenty more to see!

• Apr 23, 2008 at 6:20 AM

I have been once! Hope to have the change to be again in Egypt!! Nice page!

• 0308PODA's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I am enthralled by your page. I am heading to Egypt this August. Cannot wait. I hope that I have as good a time as you did!.

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 6:08 PM

ღ♫•:*¨`*:• La Multi Ani! •:*¨`*:•♫ღ

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 3:45 AM

You have a wonderful page here, Diana. It will serve me as a guide during my one week stay in Cairo. I'm sorry we couldn't meet at the last VT meeting.

• May 29, 2007 at 8:11 AM

if u like egypt this much why don't u visite egypt again soon

• Mailo's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Linda pagina, que envidia!... tambien me gustaria pasar una noche en silencio en esos lugares.. Ismael

Diana75

“Happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it solely depends on what you think”

Badges & Stats in Cairo