"The Holy Family journey in Egypt: Belbeis" Bilbays by Diana75
Bilbays Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 15 photos
Our day trip on the steps of the Holy Family in Egypt started with Belbeis, a district of El Sharqiya govemorate, located at about 52 km from Cairo, which was an important diocese in the 4th century.
It is said that the Holy Family passed by Bilbais on their return from Mostorod and sheltered under a tree known as "The tree of the Virgin Mary".
On this place stands today the church of St George.
There are three things that really intrigued me about this place.
First of them is the correct name of the place.
Bilbais, Bilbays, Belbeis, Bilbeis or Bilbes?
The most common are Belbeis, officially used on maps and in the notes about the Holy Family jouney in Egypt, and sometimes Bilbays.
Second is the name of the church.
To us it was presented as the St. George church and the representations of the saint killing the dragon found in the church are confirming this name. Still, on some pictures of the church it was mentioned as Church of the Virgin Mary.
The third aspect is related to the "The tree of the Virgin Mary". There is no evidence of this tree in Belbeis, while the worldwide recognized as Mary's tree is the one located in Al Matariyah.
A police patrol joined our bus on our way to Belbeis and accompanied us from there to Mostorod and Al Matariyah. It was... more travel advice
This is the oldest part of the church which is still currently used as a chapel. An old iconostas is hidden by a velvet... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Bilbays Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bilbays
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Bilbays?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bilbays
Photos in BilbaysSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues