"Miletus, Miletos, Milet - Cradle of Philosophy" Balat by Diana75
Balat Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 25 photos
Miletus was founded in the 10th century BC as an important commercial and cultural center.
At its height, around 100,000 people lived on this peninsula.
Miletus was the homeland of numerous philosophers and sages. Thales, Anaksymandros, Anaksymens and Hekotios are some of these philosophers.
Several ruins dispersed over the region, including the antique theater, the Faustina baths built by the Roman Emperor Aurelius for his wife, the caravanserai and the agoras are the silent testimonies of the great past of Miletus, one of the most important towns in the area.
The caravanserai is located on the south-eastern part of the theatre and was built in the 15th century. The two-storey... more travel advice
The extant walls and the tower standing on the cavea of the theatre, are the walls for the citadel built during the... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Balat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Miletus, Miletos, Milet - Cradle of Philosophy"
- "MILETUS – BEFORE EPHESUS, THERE WAS MILETUS"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Balat
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Balat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balat
Photos in BalatSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues