"Bergama (Pergamon) - Pergamene Kaste city" Top 5 Page for this destination Bergama by Diana75
Bergama Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 584 photos
Bergama, located on the west coast of Turkey, at around 100km north of Izmir, is an important destination for those who love the ancient ruins and the turkish carpets.
With a population of around 56,000 inhabitans, it is also said that Bergama is a paradise for the ladies who love shoes. I didn't buy any pair there, but it's true that I've seen a lot of shops mainly on the road to the Acropolis.
Placed at 300m above the city, Pergamon was one of the most famous cities in the Ancient world, a great center of culture and civilization throughout history.
The major attractions are the Aesclepion and the Acropolis, located at around 8km one of each other.
The Aesclepion, located on the southwest of the lower city, was built to pay homage to the God of Health, Asclepios.
The temples of Trajan and Dionysus, majestic Altar of Zeus, the temple of Demeter, inspiring theatre, the gymnasium, the arsenals, the lower agora and the famous library form the Acropolis.
Another interesting place to visit is the Archaeological Museum in Bergama, which contains a large collection of artifacts from this area, dating from Paleolithic to Byzantine periods.
Bergama is also the homeland of many philosophers and scientists, among them being also Krates who invented and produced the "parchment paper" (Pergamene Kaste) here.
Bergama is also famous of its carpets. The format of Bergama carpets is usually more nearly square than in other... more travel advice
The Temple of Aesclepios, located near the Hippodrome, can be easily recognized due to its round form. According to the... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Bergama Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bergama - Pergamon"
- "Bergama (Pergamon) - Pergamene Kaste city"
- "Ancient Pergamon located in Bergama City"
- "Bergama, Pergamo, Pergammon..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bergama
- Hotels in Bergama
- Transportation in Bergama
- Restaurants in Bergama
- Shopping in Bergama
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bergama
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Bergama?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bergama
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Bergama hotel reviews
- Pension Athena
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Odyssey Guesthouse
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Anil Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Gobi Pension
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Boblingen Pension
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Berksoy Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013