"Datca and Knidos - corners of heaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Datca by Diana75
Datca Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 270 photos
Our first trip to Turkey in 2001 was in a certain way a real adventure.
We went by car and this offered us plenty of opportunities. Our main base was the beautiful Marmaris but there were days in which we drove like crazy up to 800 km to see as much as possible.
For the last day before our departure we have decided to visit the Greek island of Rhodes.
We booked our 1-day trip with a local travel agency, woke up early in the morning and went to the harbor for embarkation on a high speed ship.
But apparently the things were not that simple...
As we didn't know that we cannot leave for Rhodes without the car and was far too late to take the ferry we've been forced to cancel our trip.
Therefore, we took the car and decided to drive down on Datca peninsula until the road will finish.
And it finished to Knidos!
This was one of the most beautiful days we spent in Turkey.
The beauty of this region is given by the fact that is still unspoiled by mass tourism.
The narrow and mountainous Datca Peninsula separates the Mediterranean and Aegean seas and stretches west of Marmaris for about 100km.
The small town of Datca with its typical architecture for this area is situated in the middle of the peninsula.
The main town is located a few kilometers inland, while the Old Datca, with beautiful old stone houses, holiday and permanent residences of many Europeans and Turks, is 4 km away from Datca-Centre.
The Datca area is famous for the 3 Bs: bal - honey; badem - almonds and balik - fish.
Known as one of the most beautiful city in ancient Greece, Knidos was founded in the 4th century BC.
A sign of its importance is also the lower amphitheatre with seating for 8,000 persons.
Considered the point where the Mediterranean and Aegean seas meet, in ancient times Knidos was an important attraction due to irs Temple of Aphrodite and Praxiletes' statue of The Goddess Surprised While Bathing.
Knidos it was also famous for the quality of its wine, and as the birthplace of Sostratus, who designed the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
For the ones who don't like the heat, Turkey is not the country to visit in August. Although in Knidos you can feel the... more travel advice
What really impressed me in Knidos is the fact that you can walk along the city walls and discover on your own the... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Datca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where is paradise ?"
- "Datca and Knidos - corners of heaven"
- "A short visit to Datca"
- "DATCA:A peninsula between Aegean and Mediterranean"
- "Datca.....Day Trips"
- "PRETTY DATCA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Datca
- Hotels in Datca
- Transportation in Datca
- Nightlife in Datca
- Restaurants in Datca
- Shopping in Datca
- Warnings and Dangers in Datca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Datca
- 14 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Datca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Datca
Photos in DatcaSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Datca hotel reviews
- Mehmet Ali Aga Mansion
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013