"Demre, Myra, Kale, Kekova and the Sunken city" Kale by Diana75
Kale Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 125 photos
It might be only my opinion, or maybe not, but it doesn't matter from which direction you approach Demre because you'll always be part of one of the most beautiful sceneries in Turkey.
The town is also officialy called Kale and this creates sometimes misunderstandings whenit comes to the real Kale (Simena) - see below. The present-day Demre is a modern town, but not a very spectacular one.
Like most of the towns located in the south part of Turkey, Demre has the specific look: hot temperature, low stone-made houses, an open-air vegetables market (the area is renown for the tomatos cultures), some restaurants always full of local men drinking tea and ... doing nothing.
And even if Demre is worth a visit just for experiencing this "dolce far niente" atmophere, the town has still much more to offer.
Myra, one of the most important towns of ancient Lycia, is located 1km north from the city centre.
St. Paul stopped here and changed boats on his way to Rome in 60 A.D.
The Eastern Roman emperor Theodosius II made Myra the capital of Byzantine Lycia until the city fell to the caliph Harun ar-Rashid in AD 808.
Myra is also the place where St. Nicholas lived in the early fourth century and performed a series of miracles.
Kekova and the Sunken city
The road from Demre (Myra) to the Island of Kekova with its Sunken city and Kale (the ancient Simena) is even more spectacular.
Great turquoise water, ancient lycian tombs, sometimes half under the water, the spectacular remains of a Sunken city located along the shore... this is the Island of Kekova.
Just a small fisherman village today, Kale is the ancient city of Simena.
Dominated by the ruins of its Roman castle with one of the smallest theater in Turkey (only 300 seats), Kale is accessible by boat.
Specific Turkish restaurants in which the main dishes are based on fish lie on the shore, while the lycian sacophagus half under water attracts all the tourists.
To cut it short: Wonderful wild landscape, roads, which although narrow are in perfect condition, great boat trips, an idyllic combination of sun, sea, mountains and ancient places.
The turquoise clear water which allows you to see much of the ruins under the water, temptes you to swim around Kekova... more travel advice
Great landscape, a wonderful experience... The road trip to these sites shouldn't be missed, but don't do as we... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Kale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Demre, Myra, Kale, Kekova and the Sunken city"
- "Myra, Kale - Simena - Sunken city of Kekova"
- "The city of Santa Claus"
- "A day at sea visiting kekova island"
- "Turkey - Demre - Kale"
- "Kale / Simena, Kekova (Sunken City), Üçagiz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kale
- Transportation in Kale
- Restaurants in Kale
- Shopping in Kale
- Warnings and Dangers in Kale
- See All...
Explore the World
- Shtoj i Ri Hotels
- Cordelia Junction Hotels
- Dallas Hotels
- Beanblossom Hotels
- Runaway Bay
- Playa Blanca
- Butuan City
- Point Dume State Beach Hotels
- Santorini Island
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotels
- Airlie Beach
- Saint-Gilles-les Bains
- Washington D.C.
Badges & Stats in Kale
- 25 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Kale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kale
Photos in KaleSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues