"Pamukkale (Hierapolis) - The Cotton Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Pamukkale by Diana75
Pamukkale Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 966 photos
Pamukkale's white terraces, an extraordinary natural wonder, and the ruins of the ancient city Hierapolis are a must-visit for every traveler going to Turkey.
Founded by the king of Pergamon, Eumenes II in the 2nd century BC, Hierapolis took the name of the legendary hero Telepho's wife Hiera.
After the collapse of the city following an earthquake in 17 AD, Hierapolis was reconstructed as an important resort for notable persons.
Located in the Inner Aegean region at around 20 km from Denizli, Pamukkale is an impressive white cascade made by the hot springs rich of limestone.
The "Cotton Castle" (the translation of its Turkish name) is a rock platform over 100 m in height covered with a large numbers of pools and terraces formed throughout the ages.
Any object left in the water at Pamukkale will take on a coating of limestone within a very few days.
Many Turkish peddlers are selling books about Pamukkale all around the site. In case you are a good negotiator you can... more travel advice
This was my favourite part of the theater that's why I took many pictures of these arches. Located at the entrance to... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Pamukkale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pamukkale and Hierapolis"
- "Pamukkale (Hierapolis) - The Cotton Castle"
- "THE WONDER OF PAMUKKALE"
- "HEIRAPOLIS – ANCIENT HEALTH SPA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pamukkale
- Hotels in Pamukkale
- Transportation in Pamukkale
- Nightlife in Pamukkale
- Restaurants in Pamukkale
- Shopping in Pamukkale
- Warnings and Dangers in Pamukkale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pamukkale
- 22 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Pamukkale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pamukkale
Photos in PamukkaleSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues