"Saint-Denis - The Royal Necropolis" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Denis by Diana75
Saint-Denis Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 330 photos
42 kings, 32 queens, 63 princes and princesses, 10 great men of France rest in Saint-Denis in more than 70 Renaissance monumental tombs.
Located at 10 km from the center of Paris, the suburb of Saint-Denis is home to the royal necropolis of Saint Denis Basilica but also of France's national stadium, Stade de France, built for the 1998 Football World Cup.
But Saint-Denis has a long history.
Around the year 250 Saint Denis, the first bishop of Paris and patron saint of France, was martyred and buried in the cemetery of Catolacus, a village located on this place.
His tomb soon became an important pilgrimage place and in 475 on Sainte Genevieve order a small chapel was built on Denis's tomb.
Dagobert I was the one that transformed the small chapel into a royal monastery and starting from him almost every French king is buried in the Basilica.
Saint Denis, also known as Denise, Dionysius, or Dennis is the bishop of Paris and the patron saint of France.
According to old legends, it seems that Denis was sent from Italy to convert the people in the region where Paris is located now.
He was executed by beheading on Montmartre, who took this name from the martyrdom of Denis (in French Montmartre means mountain of the martyr).
It seems that, after his head was chopped off, St Denis picked it up and walked several miles, all the time preaching a sermon and stopped on the site where Saint Denis Basilica stands today.
In all the representations of today St. Denis is depicted as headless, holding his head in his hands.
His feast day is October 9.
Deffinitely you have to have warm clothes because in the Basilica is very cold and in the crypt is even colder. The... more travel advice
Pay a special attention to Louis XII and Anne de Bretagne mausoleum. It is actually the only one in the Basilica on... more travel advice
Diana75's Related Pages
Saint-Denis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint-Denis - The Royal Necropolis"
- "THE BASILICA OF SAINT DENIS"
- "Royal Saint Denis"
- "Rue de la République"
- "A Trip to Saint-Denis-Not for Beginning Sightseers"
- "Basilique Royal Necropolis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Denis
- Transportation in Saint-Denis
- Restaurants in Saint-Denis
- Shopping in Saint-Denis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint-Denis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Denis
- 25 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Saint-Denis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Denis
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 149 reviews, 386 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 115 reviews, 413 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 75 reviews, 251 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 70 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 70 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egypt Intro, 65 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 55 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso Intro, 61 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 52 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues