"Egypt At Last" Egypt by easterntrekker

Egypt Travel Guide: 16,116 reviews and 41,037 photos

Arriving

Arriving In Cairo
Cairo is a hectic , confusing and bustling airport. It seemed very foreign to us even though we have traveled to 70 countries .

I have to admit I had a hard time deciding which tour company to use. I wanted to book with an Egyptian company but there are so many . Some good and some not so good. The Egyptian tourist office has a list of registered agencies that will bid on the trip you want . So I started with that. Wow as soon as I put in the request I received tons of replies.
Eventually with reference checking and comparisons I settled on the agency that seemed right for me.

We booked our trip in Egypt with Five Star Travel and we were pleased to see our agent ,Tamer waiting for us and we were surprised to see he was permitted to wait inside the customs area.

Tamer really was a help with obtaining our visas which to our surprise you buy at the money exchange place . He handed our $15.00 and our passports to the guy in the wicket and without even looking at our information they handed over our visa. Glad we didn’t go through the trouble of applying before we left home.

Customs clearance was also pretty fast and we were on our way.

The City Sights

The 30 minute drive to our hotel went by quickly as we caught our first glimpse of the famous city of Cairo. I thought it looked quite European and it is a mix of the new ,old and ancient. We saw many impressive grand buildings that were built over generations as well as extremely poor and shabby areas. Tamer did a wonderful job explaining the sights we were seeing but by now I was so exhausted many of the details escaped me.

• Pros:Pyramids, Desert, Nile and More
  • Cons:Security Concerns
  • In a nutshell:A trip of a Lifetime
  • Last visit to Egypt: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2010

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Nice page! I've been wanting to visit Egypt but I fear we have missed our opportunity considering the recent problems. Pillaging of the Cairo museum is really very sad for Egyptians and tourists alike.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Enjoyed your tips on Egypt. We enjoyed a 1 day visit to Cairo & Giant Pyramids Oct'10 ex cruise. Thanks for visiting my Niagra Falls page.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Nice and beautiful page! I agree with you about tourist trap. We are visiting Egypt in October.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Well constructed and informative tips, Anita. I would love to visit Alexandria. So much history here. Nice photos.

easterntrekker Used To Live Here!

easterntrekker

“see the world or bust.”

Badges & Stats in Egypt