"New Zealand from the North to the South" New Zealand by easterntrekker
New Zealand Travel Guide: 14,440 reviews and 36,340 photos
Being from Canada , it made since for us to start our New Zealand adventure in the North . ...and the fact that our newly married daughter and son in law were in Auckland !!
Anyway , we made Auckland our base and did our best to see as much as we could of the this amazing part of the country that two weeks would allow.
There was so much to see....
We were wowed by volcanic islands and cones all around, we tramped through forests of tree ferns that take you back to dinasour times, we strolled vast windswept beaches and in others we dug holes to search for hot springs. ..there were sheep....and more sheep and who could know hills can truly be that colour green.
It was a hard decision when heading to the South island ...will we go east or west. Anyway west it was and we weren't disappointed !
The scenery changed dramatically as we headed along the west coast . We took several days and stopped frquently to take pictures ...time only allowed us to go as far as Fox Glacier...and although we had non stop rain...it only added to the dramatic landscapes we were visiting.
It would take so much more time than we had to explore all of the South . We had to content ourselves to see only as much as time allowed .
The trip across Arthurs Pass was fabulous ! We crossed from the west coast and relaxed the last few days in Christchurch . I panicked the day before we left realizing I hadn't seen a kiwi...so on my last day I finally got to see one. Granted they were raised in captivity and it wasn't like a sighting in the wild . I'm statisfied!!
- Pros:natural astounding and diverse beauty
- Cons:rainy spring
- In a nutshell:A beautiful , small, safe country with friendly people!!
WE really liked the take out fish and chips here . Good serving size and delicious. Only $8.00. Fish and chips with... more travel advice
We stayed three nights in Christchurch it was our last stop before leaving New Zealand. It's a small city of about 350,... more travel advice
easterntrekker's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 77 Reviews
- 157 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Travel Banff National Park Forum "Re: Banff visit - help me plan..."
- Commented on one of Kakapo2's New Zealand travel pages
- Wrote a Review Air New Zealand in New Zealand Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nice clean Hostel Christchurch"
- created a New Zealand Travel Page "New Zealand from the North to the South"
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 77 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 73 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 40 reviews, 89 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 41 reviews, 77 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 30 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tonga Intro, 38 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago de Atitlán Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 36 reviews, 63 photos
- Vienna Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos
- Bermuda Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2271 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 591 Reviews - 1252 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1670 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 474 Reviews - 1182 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Mangere Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 519 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Whangarei Hotels
- 65 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Gisborne Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 226 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 127 Photos